NCAA approves rule changes to shorten college football games

BamaProud

New rules:
  • No consecutive timeouts
  • The game clock will continue to run when a first down is gained.
  • The game clock will be stopped when a first down is gained during the last two minutes of either half.
  • Penalties at the end of the first and third quarter will carry over and be enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

PalsPal

How about shortening the TV timeouts? Of course not!

Drives you crazy when at a game, and there is a stoppage in play because of a quarter change etc., and the little guy with the big digital clock steps on the field to show the refs how long the timeout will be. I think 2:30 is the longest I remember.

K-dub

No consecutive timeouts will be good. That means no more icing the kicker and wasting time with a tactic that rarely works

Displaced_Vol

Drives you crazy when at a game, and there is a stoppage in play because of a quarter change etc., and the little guy with the big digital clock steps on the field to show the refs how long the timeout will be. I think 2:30 is the longest I remember.
Preach bud.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled

So true

mike243

I never heard folks fuss about how long a game was just the outcome, reckon we can just push a button and let the computer tell us who would have won had they really played lol. Is this really a big deal and do the same rules apply to the NFL ?

THEdonkey0515

I never heard folks fuss about how long a game was just the outcome, reckon we can just push a button and let the computer tell us who would have won had they really played lol. Is this really a big deal and do the same rules apply to the NFL ?
I know the NFL does not stop the clock when a first down is gained like college did.

If I remember right the NFL has a 2 min timeout. At the end if each half that stops the clock once. Then the clock goes on as normal afterwards, and does not stop on first downs even within 2 mins of the game. I would be fine with this rule in College as well makes more since To be anyways.

PillsburyDoughboy

So they have done what? Saved 7 or 8 plays a game? Taken less than a min off the game clock? Maybe saves some real time which is costing some networks some money and time. I do like the icing rule. Always hated that. I don't think this is going to have any affect on the competitive angle the teams have in any way. Some mild adjustments at best.

BPhunter

Might as well just let them set in a room and play football on a PS4 or what ever!! If you can't stand how long a game is, why do you even watch? I think they should probably shorten baseball games also, to (1) inning. Hey there ya go, only (1) quarter for football.

BamaProud

I don't particularly like to watch 120 minutes of commercials so I can watch 60 minutes of football. I don't attend many games, but I would imagine it would be annoying to sit there during commercial time outs. They should sell advertising on the field or on the sidelines like they do in the MLB or NHL and maybe do split screen for commercials.

BPhunter

Been to many pro football games when I was a youngster. My brother would take me to all the Browns games. Don't know what all the big deal is about??? Maybe they can transform the regular games like they did the pro-bowl....flag football.

megalomaniac

I just set my DVR that morn for all the games I want to watch... do yardwork till 1 or 2p, then come in and start the 11a game at 4p. Fast forward through all commercials, all downtime between plays, downtime for reviews/challenges, etc. Just snap the ball, watch the play, FF 20s and snap the ball again. I watch every play and condense the game down to about 35 min. Start the 230p game at 445, FF thru all the crap and finish it live around 530. Record the late games and watch them early Sun morn before church the same way. I usually watch between 3 and 4 SEC games each weekend this way

PalsPal

I just set my DVR that morn for all the games I want to watch... do yardwork till 1 or 2p, then come in and start the 11a game at 4p. Fast forward through all commercials, all downtime between plays, downtime for reviews/challenges, etc. Just snap the ball, watch the play, FF 20s and snap the ball again. I watch every play and condense the game down to about 35 min. Start the 230p game at 445, FF thru all the crap and finish it live around 530. Record the late games and watch them early Sun morn before church the same way. I usually watch between 3 and 4 SEC games each weekend this way

I'll do that for some games not TN.

On others, I just go to YouTube on Sunday mornings and watch the condensed replays that somebody does a great job of putting together. Every play is shown, and they last 12-15 mins each.