MS opens tomorrow right?

megalomaniac

I didn't realize they only allowed 1,000 non-residents. I figured the quota was really high since my buddy and I both drew it.
Th88 would know the exact numbers, but last year there were only 1100 or so who applied. Im sure it's gone up a bit this year, but more folks drew than didnt. But public is MS is nowhere near a hunting paradise save for a handful of WMA draw hunts. Most NRs in MS are hunting private ground (unlimited, no special permit needed)

megalomaniac

You explained it perfectly. It makes sense but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Now I'm wondering if the state of MS could ban non-resident fishermen from fishing at Sardis (a Corp of Engineers lake) in April during the crappie spawn because the ramps are too crowded if they took a notion.
Sure the state (any state) could ban all nonresidents from hunting or fishing within the state. They already do ban harvest of certain fish (under size limit, over creel limit is illegal to harvest). But gotta remember, those nonresidents bring in big $$$ in license fees. The states WANT NRs to come. But revenue generation is secondary to protecting the resource and ensuring it is sustainable indefinitely.

With turkey hunting in the past 3 years, the number of NRs flooding onto the public lands was getting to the point where it might have resulted in complete overharvest of the resource, as well as create even more unsafe/crowded hunting conditions. As much as the state wanted to sell another 1000 NR turkey tags, it just wasn't in the best interest of the resource.

We will see the same thing happen out west before too long. Turkey tags will no longer be unlimited as populations collapse.

Andy S.

I get all that, but you didn't answer my question. How can a state tell non-residents that they can't hunt federal land that everybody pays for? I get that they can do whatever they want on state owned WMAs, but I'm talking about federal land.
MDWFP controls it by limiting the number of "non-quota public land access" licenses available to NR for the first two weeks (aka public land license endorsement). If a NR does not have the free license endorsement, he/she cannot legally turkey hunt any public land the first two weeks, UNLESS the NR is drawn for a site specific public land quota hunt during the first two weeks.

Last year, MDWFP had approximately 1100 NR turkey hunters apply for the 1100 "license endorsements", thus nearly everyone was drawn. This year, MDWFP had ~ 1800 NR turkey hunters apply for the 1100 license endorsements. Another thing worth mentioning for this year is hunters and hunter groups are applying, and "single" hunters are being drawn, but unless their buddy/friend or the entire group is drawn, the "single hunters" are not using their "license endorsement" the first two weeks on public land. I know of at least two groups who applied individually, but because only ONE of the group was successful, none of them are traveling to MS to turkey hunt public ground the first two weeks.

Last edited:

mike243

Thought it opened here Saturday, had 1 get within 6' when I woke up and spotted it, was by itself, 3 steps or so and I grabbed it up, was about $20 butterball cook from frozen 🤣. Have cooked them before and they are good lol

Latest posts