MS Turkey stamp

megalomaniac

I think the stamp is a great idea... to track hunter numbers, and I'm all about turkey conservation...

I'd want assurance the proceeds are used and not wasted, like most gobt fees/taxes.

I strongly opposed charging NRs $100 for the stamp. They are already paying higher NR license costs. $10 for residents and NRs alike would be more reasonable.

deerhunter10

I really like the idea. Only worry like you about the making sure the money is used like it should. I see other states following mississippi on this in the next couple of years.

I'm not opposed to the higher out of state cost either. 10 compared to 100 is quite the difference.

Bgoodman30

I like the turkey tag/stamp system used in other states. As long as the funds are allocated and used appropriately of course…

Joe2Kool

My memory says most states I hunt charge NRs the same for the stamp. But the license, either deer, turkey, or elk, is higher. Never hunted Mississippi. Got relatives there tho.

th88

I'm currently paying about $400/year as nonresident in license fees. That would make it $500 a year to hunt nonresident.
Arkansas is already $510 for 1 turkey (as of this spring). But there is legislation to knock it back down to like $325.

Its a new era boys, saddle up and break out that wallet as states listen to their resident's complaints about non-residents! Don't forget to like and subscribe.

Doing a little quick math, this could mean nearly $750,000 worth of dedicated turkey funding, which could be federally matched 3:1. That is a SUBSTANTIAL amount of funding for the wild turkey!!! Fingers crossed it passes.

megalomaniac

Arkansas is already $510 for 1 turkey (as of this spring). But there is legislation to knock it back down to like $325.

Its a new era boys, saddle up and break out that wallet as states listen to their resident's complaints about non-residents! Don't forget to like and subscribe.

Doing a little quick math, this could mean nearly $750,000 worth of dedicated turkey funding, which could be federally matched 3:1. That is a SUBSTANTIAL amount of funding for the wild turkey!!! Fingers crossed it passes.
I know this is putting the cart before the horse... but has MDWFP thought about how the funds would be allocated??? More boots on the ground for enforcement? More habitat improvement projects on WMAs such as more frequent burning or additional supplemental food plots? Even programs for landowners to cost share habitat improvements?

tntrkkllr

If this if passes they can kiss my ass, first draw to hunt any public for first two weeks and almost 400 bucks for a license. Yeah you know how many people will not pay for that. Let's just ruin hunting in every for every non resident EXCEPT TENNESSEE 🙄🙄🙄

megalomaniac

But I guarantee you there will still be more applications than tags available for the non-resident March public lands draw.
I was assuming there wasn't a NR WMA draw... Just a pool of applicants (resident and NR) for the WMA's and 20% or so were designated to go to NR's/ 80% go to residents. Is that how our WMA draw works? I've never really been able to find explicitly.

oh, wait, maybe you are just talking about the specific NR only draw to be able to hunt any public land first 2 weeks and not the WMA draws. That is capped at what? 2000 NR's?

megalomaniac

If this if passes they can kiss my ass, first draw to hunt any public for first two weeks and almost 400 bucks for a license. Yeah you know how many people will not pay for that. Let's just ruin hunting in every for every non resident EXCEPT TENNESSEE 🙄🙄🙄
HUH??? It's only $200 for you to come to MS, shoot 3 birds for a 7d license ($150 for the license and $50 for the turkey permit)
If I come from MS to TN for the same 7 day NR license, it's $214... for 2 birds.

Cheaper for TN residents to kill birds in MS than for MS residents to kill birds in TN

Pot, meet Kettle

tntrkkllr

HUH??? It's only $200 for you to come to MS, shoot 3 birds for a 7d license ($150 for the license and $50 for the turkey permit)
If I come from MS to TN for the same 7 day NR license, it's $214... for 2 birds.

Cheaper for TN residents to kill birds in MS than for MS residents to kill birds in TN
I normally buy a yearly license not a 7 day. I can't hunt 7 days strait due to work and family schedule. I hunt all Public in Mississippi since we lost our lease, and sometimes that can be tough in areas

deerfever

Yep, let's recruit more hunters! Lol, Non residents will be hard pressed to turkey hunt anywhere before long. I don't blame states for doing something there is a point you have to take care of your resources. Wonder what made turkey hunting so cool? Never seen it like this before.

Latest posts