Getting right

Andy S.

Back when we had 4 tags and hunted religiously into May, we always had a saying..............."May = old birds". The hens are setting and the old men are getting lonely. I about stepped on a hen last week in the far eastern edge of Region 1. She flushed and exposed these 11 eggs. Back dating, she was likely bred first half of March.

1714079857168.jpeg

Iglow

Back when we had 4 tags and hunted religiously into May, we always had a saying..............."May = old birds". The hens are setting and the old men are getting lonely. I about stepped on a hen last week in the far eastern edge of Region 1. She flushed and exposed these 11 eggs. Back dating, she was likely bred first half of March.

View attachment 225165
I'm only counting 10! You took one home for breakfast didn't ya? 😲 😆

AT Hiker

Found a busted egg this morning. Sickening feeling but it's reality.

We got on 4 Tom's (had to be 2 yr olds). They roosted with 7 hens. Good set up, had them come right up on me but I wasnt toating a gun. They went out of range and out into a small pasture. Got my buddy to turn around. Once settled I yelped a few times and enticed them to come our way just. Unfortunately it was a clean miss for my bud.

Found him again in a cow pasture. All 4 still strutting. Early in the am we heard one gobble on the neighbors property. Believe it or not he came towards the other flock and he was alone.
The bird my buddy shot at left his flock and chased him away. Pretty cool how they establish who is part of the group and who ain't.

Maybe he thought the new bird shot at him this morning 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, hoping we can get on that lone bird this weekend.

Also, it sure helps to have the short pastures in years like this.

*my phone and tndeer don't jive at all. I swear you'd think a 5 year old Chinese exchange student wrote this.

Last edited:

AT Hiker

I don't think any of the males we seen this am were older than 2. However, I know for a fact one is alone so that should be fun especially if we can get back out in a couple hours.

Here is a screen shot of the miss. See the wad? A solid foot over his head. I'm at the dentist, told my bud he needs to shoot at some paper while I'm gone.

IMG_5290.jpeg

Iglow

For those of you with a tag in your pocket, we are just about to the point in the season where the 1.5in spurs birds will be falling. Most hunters tagged out already on the 2 yos... but the old toms are about to get lonely and make mistakes. May is the month to kill the limbhangers.
I've got 2 old timers less than 125 yds from me right now, if the sun comes out chances are good they will ease back into the shade of this swamp mayb

Latest posts