Mr.Big and others...300rum again

Jon

Eric, I have seen on some other forums that the barrel life on the 300rum is only 600-700 rounds, I find that hard to believe I was thinking it would be good for at least a thousand.

And my second question, what do you think of the rem 700 sps stainless in 300rum. It has a 26 inch barrel but has the crap plastic stock. I would definately want to upgrade the stock, but I have priced one from Timintn for a really good price in my opinion. Just wondering what you guys thought about it.

Thanks, Jon

mr.big

I have shot mine well over 1000 rounds and it will still hold MOA easy,maybe closer to 1500 rounds,,it is 11 years old,,

I assume the SPS Stainless is the same bbl/action as the BDLSS that I have,,

if you can find a Sendero 300 RUM would be the way to go.

mr.big

get the heaviest stock you can and have it pillar glass bedded

at some point I plan to have a 30 inch fat bbl throated for the longest bullet thay make and put a wyatts box mag in,,probably HS Precision stock,,either 300 RUM or 338 EDGE

megalomaniac

Good pillar bedding job- $150-200; if you do it yourself, around $50

Mr. Big gives the best advice- get a sendero if you're wanting to get into the 300RUM game. It's the ONLY way to go on the cheap.

You CAN get lightly used senderos in 300 RUM for reasonable prices. My buddy got one a couple years ago for $600 WITH a jewell trigger. That was a steal, but I routinely see them sell for $750 in great condition.

By the time you buy a SPS for $400, then add the stock (another $250), you're right at what you would spend for a fluted barrel sendero.

You can expect 1200 rounds out of the barrel with the heavy bullets. 800 rounds if you fling a bunch of the 150 grainers at 3800 fps.

Once you have one, you'll soon grow tired of the 26" bbl and want to get a 30"'er... that's where the 300 RUM can really shine. ANd if you've bought used, you won't feel nearly as bad about pulling off the factory tube and installing the custom bbl on down the road.

You DEFINETLY want a brake. Not for recoil reduction, but to be able to spot your hits at long range. There is NO WAY I would have a dedicated long range rig without a brake. When I shoot my ultralight unbraked 7WSM out to 700 yards, I completely lose my sight picture after pulling the trigger. But that gun is built as an all-arounder, one-gun-for-all, so to speak. I wear earplugs with muffs over them at the range for the braked guns- very little noise with the combo. I use muffs only when hunting just before the shot, and that works good for the occasional shot

bjohnson

The key to barrel life in a RUM or any chambering is...do not and I repeat DO NOT!!! let the barrel get hot. With a hvy bbl I shoot a 5 shot string through mine and let it cool. Jon get the SPS and find an HS stock for it. Comes aluminum bedded and by the way mine may be up for sale here in the near future...MANNERS T4...

Latest posts