More multi beards?

Kyboy

Do you guys think multi bearded turkeys are becoming more common? It probably took me 30 or more turkeys before I ever killed one. Now its almost like a yearly occurrence that either I or someone I have always hunted with kills one. Not just double beards either we've been seeing a lot of 3+ beards. What's y'alls thoughts on this?

RoyalPrudent

Do you guys think multi bearded turkeys are becoming more common? It probably took me 30 or more turkeys before I ever killed one. Now its almost like a yearly occurrence that either I or someone I have always hunted with kills one. Not just double beards either we've been seeing a lot of 3+ beards. What's y'alls thoughts on this?
mutations could be occuring due to environmental concerns. It's pretty common in frogs for instance, but we'd need quantitative proof before we'd know that for sure.

Southern Sportsman

In my opinion, it's genetic and therefore regional. I have no scientific data to support that, but it seems like certain places and certain farms produce them more often than others. I have a buddy in AL who seems to kill one every year or two in the same places, and I killed a handful off a farm I used to hunt in Carroll County. Maybe it was just in my mind, but it seemed like that farm also had a lot of bearded hens, so maybe there is some genetic correlation.

Wrangler95

I've killed a few gobbler's with multi-beard's,killed one last year that had 3 beard's!See several bearded hen's in turkey season!

redblood

I killed have killed 3. A 6 beard that hillbilly hunter called in for me in 2001, and 2- 4 bearded turkeys a day apart. I posted a pic on here of 8 beards together lol. I think that was in 2011. Not another one since and had no idea any of them had multibeards- really didnt care anyway. A tom is a tom to me

exarcherman

i rarely see multi bearded turkeys here in edge of hawkins/greene county... i'm sure you're in a genetically predisposed spot.. Some multi-beard genetics evidently is doing well there..

megalomaniac

We've killed several a couple decades ago, most was 7 beards. For whatever reason, haven't seen many past 5 years. We did kill a bird with 3 thick bears 3y ago, but none since. For some reason, I don't look at them as anything special. I'm more interested in the hunt itself and the spur length.

Kyboy

We've killed several a couple decades ago, most was 7 beards. For whatever reason, haven't seen many past 5 years. We did kill a bird with 3 thick bears 3y ago, but none since. For some reason, I don't look at them as anything special. I'm more interested in the hunt itself and the spur length.
I'm with you on not caring about beards, but man do I love some sharp long spurs. I just find it interesting how multibeards are becoming more common, and honestly I think longer spurs are becoming more common as well.

Southern Sportsman

For some reason, I don't look at them as anything special. I'm more interested in the hunt itself and the spur length.
Same here. Multi-beardedness is just a genetic fluke and as I understand it, they have multiple beards even as a jake. Hunt quality being equal, If I had my choice between a turkey with virtually no beard but 1.5" spurs, or a 2 yr old with 5 beards, I'll shoot the long spurred turkey every time.

Stlbaseball1

I'm with you on not caring about beards, but man do I love some sharp long spurs. I just find it interesting how multibeards are becoming more common, and honestly I think longer spurs are becoming more common as well.
In my opinion, multi beards and long spurs are not more any more common. I think we are made aware of so many more kills due to all forms of Social Media.
Think about it… prior to social media the only kills you knew about were family/close friends and from the local checking station or coffee shop. Now we literally know about 10x more the number of kills. Same goes for big deer, in my humble opinion.

Kyboy

In my opinion, multi beards and long spurs are not more any more common. I think we are made aware of so many more kills due to all forms of Social Media.
Think about it… prior to social media the only kills you knew about were family/close friends and from the local checking station or coffee shop. Now we literally know about 10x more the number of kills. Same goes for big deer, in my humble opinion.
I agree to that, but I am also talking personal experience. Especially on multi beards, it was just like all of a sudden they became more common. I might just pay more attention to the beards when I kill one now, who knows.

Latest posts