6 more weeks

bowhunterfanatic

Come to the SW corner of the State (more in line with northern Mississippi from a climate perspective), and what you describe will be exacerbated. If all other things were equal (reproduction, poult carryover, plenty of turkeys to hunt in outyears, etc), my preferred dates to "hunt" in the SW corner of the State is roughly March 20 - April 20. Of course, these dates would not be my preferred dates "to hunt" for middle TN (10-14 days later), and not even close for the NE corner of the State (Bristol, etc).
A lot of times I don't think people who haven't experienced the difference can wrap their minds around just how vastly different the southernmost portions of west TN can be. Like you, I'd LOVE to be able to hunt the last 10 days of March. What few times I can remember getting to hunt the last weekend of March the hunting was incredible. Same goes for the few years I got to carry a juvenile. We never had a problem finding a receptive bird then.

deerfever

I believe we're going to see them acting a bit differently this season come mid April. Keep in mind that aside from the youth hunt on the 8th and 9th, these birds aren't going to have had any hunting pressure applied to them come opening morning of the regular season. Hopefully, that'll mean they won't be as skittish to come into the call as they normally would with the old season schedule.
I am trying to understand your thoughts and I may be missing something but how is that different than the old schedule? We had the juvenile hunt followed a week later by regular season? Again I may be missing something here as I am getting old and crusty! Lol

Andy S.

Got the first pic of hens and toms together 3 days ago on 2/27. Prior to that only bachelor groups.
My first pic was 2/14. Friends have heard a little bit of limb gobbling this past week. SW TN.
B7D53811-5CA5-4237-99D1-114FAFDCED44.jpeg

CHRIS WILSON

I am trying to understand your thoughts and I may be missing something but how is that different than the old schedule? We had the juvenile hunt followed a week later by regular season? Again I may be missing something here as I am getting old and crusty! Lol
My response was to how the birds might be acting mid/late April this season in comparison to the same time frame in seasons past due the shift in when hunting pressure is applied. I think I worded my earlier response a bit funky.

Last edited:

AT Hiker

Come to the SW corner of the State (more in line with northern Mississippi from a climate perspective), and what you describe will be exacerbated. If all other things were equal (reproduction, poult carryover, plenty of turkeys to hunt in outyears, etc), my preferred dates to "hunt" in the SW corner of the State is roughly March 20 - April 20. Of course, these dates would not be my preferred dates "to hunt" for middle TN (10-14 days later), and not even close for the NE corner of the State (Bristol, etc).
Research out of NC is confirming that nesting is more aligned with latitude and day length. Believe it or not, the higher altitude mountains of W, NC nesting is a couple days earlier than the costal.
Be interesting to study TN. Dr Harpers research confirms TN nesting dates but that's a specific geographic location.

muddyboots

No doubt about it, new season dates impact the northeast corner of the State the least, middle of the State the second least, and impact the SW quadrant the most. From a "receptive birds" and "quality of hunting" point of view.
agreed. I try to be quiet but where I live it pretty much ruined my turkey season. I usually don't hunt much in May- too hot- bugs- snakes - ticks and chiggars- not fun hunting turkeys like deer. I live for the first 9 days of season. Matter of fact I wish it even opened earlier than April where I live. Basically made my season 2 weeks long instead of a month. This guy not happy about it. Lol. But for most of the state not a big deal so I doubt it will get changed back. TWRA deserves whatever financial shortfalls they get.

deerfever

agreed. I try to be quiet but where I live it pretty much ruined my turkey season. I usually don't hunt much in May- too hot- bugs- snakes - ticks and chiggars- not fun hunting turkeys like deer. I live for the first 9 days of season. Matter of fact I wish it even opened earlier than April where I live. Basically made my season 2 weeks long instead of a month. This guy not happy about it. Lol. But for most of the state not a big deal so I doubt it will get changed back. TWRA deserves whatever financial shortfalls they get.
Keep in mind TWRA did not recommend a two week delay at all as they had zero evidence that a two week delay helps with anything. As a matter of fact preliminary results from the study of delayed areas in TN shows that predators had the biggest impact on nesting success. The commission are the folks we can thank for the delay . You are not alone my friend , I would totally understand if it was recommended with evidence that the dominant gobbler theory made an impact for our turkeys.

megalomaniac

Up in TN visiting Dad... redbuds in full bloom, callory pears just past peak.

Hens and toms still separate flocks here, 23 hens in this pic. Saw a group of 9 toms about a half mile away.

Definitely not ahead of schedule on my farms despite the warm spring. No gobbling this morn, but it was awfully windy. Going to listen again in the morn and try to call in some coyotes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303_152649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230303_152649_Gallery.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 32

megalomaniac

Finally extracted my first gobble this morn from a tom on the roost. Ignored owl and crow calls, but popped off to a peacock.

Spent the rest of the day calling in coyotes. 8 sets, called in 3 dogs. Killed 2, but the female of one pair that came in didn't allow for a 2nd shot after killing the male. #11 and 12 since Nov on my farms

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230304_171640_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230304_171640_Messages.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 51

megalomaniac

This morn was about as perfect as it gets for gobbling. Hit 3 farms to listen and call in dogs at just barely light until 7am. Heard 2 on 1 farm that gobbled once after hitting the ground.

Called in 1 dog, but he came in and spotted my setup before I could see him. Not many yoties left on my farms that will come to a call at this point, so will prob give them a month for new ones to shift in and get rid of them as well just before fawning and nesting begins.

CHRIS WILSON

Up in TN visiting Dad... redbuds in full bloom, callory pears just past peak.

Hens and toms still separate flocks here, 23 hens in this pic. Saw a group of 9 toms about a half mile away.

Definitely not ahead of schedule on my farms despite the warm spring. No gobbling this morn, but it was awfully windy. Going to listen again in the morn and try to call in some coyotes.
Haven't heard a peep out of any toms yet hear in Wilson county. I was out both Saturday and Sunday morning this weekend.

Atchman2

The one nice thing about the delay, is I can go and hunt in other states then return to here for opening week! Kansas has reduced their bag limit to a single bird. I've seen hundreds of them at one time there, but not many recently. Where I hunt I can slip into Nebraska and Colorado pretty easily.

jc0313

They are fired up this morning by my place. I've had 4 sounding off nonstop since 6:15 this A.M. and they're still going strong.