6 more weeks

knightrider

Good grief this is killing me
E46EA53F-3F0B-47CA-89FC-A7ACA443507E.jpeg
E46EA53F-3F0B-47CA-89FC-A7ACA443507E.jpeg

Setterman

Things are certainly moving fast here as well. Hunting will still be good for me in this area, but I'll truly miss the first two weeks. There's something really special about watching the woods convert from winter to full blown spring while hunting.

Glad the 4 bird limit and decoy lovers had their fun. Thanks for spoiling Turkey season for the rest of us. Also TWRA for perpetuating a horrific management plan for far too long.

Atchman2

I'm just afraid they are going to "peak" too early? My fear is it is going to be like late season when the season starts. I hate late season, just so hard compared to those first few weeks.

I'm going to Kansas for the archery hunt. It was ZERO there last week!

CHRIS WILSON

I'm just afraid they are going to "peak" too early? My fear is it is going to be like late season when the season starts. I hate late season, just so hard compared to those first few weeks.

I'm going to Kansas for the archery hunt. It was ZERO there last week!
I believe we're going to see them acting a bit differently this season come mid/late April. Keep in mind that aside from the youth hunt on the 8th and 9th, these birds aren't going to have had any real hunting pressure applied to them until mid April. Hopefully, that'll mean they won't be as skittish to come into the call in late April as they normally would with the old season schedule.

Last edited:

Andy S.

If the weather trend continues it will be full canopy and over regrown hay fields come mid April. It will look like we are hunting in May!
Come to the SW corner of the State (more in line with northern Mississippi from a climate perspective), and what you describe will be exacerbated. If all other things were equal (reproduction, poult carryover, plenty of turkeys to hunt in outyears, etc), my preferred dates to "hunt" in the SW corner of the State is roughly March 20 - April 20. Of course, these dates would not be my preferred dates "to hunt" for middle TN (10-14 days later), and not even close for the NE corner of the State (Bristol, etc).

Andy S.

Prediction: Hunters will practically have to shoot toms in self-defense. In areas hens are starting to lay or even set by then, the gobblers will be on fire looking for dates and coming to the gun.
I can see this the first week of season in a target rich environment. If we have favorable weather April 15-23, and hunters have availability in their schedules, it should not take one long to fill 2 tags and be done. We have always talked about how front loaded our season kill has been over last 20 years. I highly suspect it will be more heavily weighted on first 10-14 days of season. Time will tell.

megalomaniac

Just crazy... here in south MS, many trees have completely exploded with leaves this week with the mid 80s temps.

But the toms are still right on track... not even gobbling, and just now starting to break up bachelor groups and follow hens. Got a pic of 2 more toms crossing a pipe line yesterday, neither were even colored up. Hens start letting toms breed them mid March locally, and there is zero sign it is going to happen earlier than normal this year despite the weather. I spent a couple hours yesterday listening... didn't hear a single gobble, yet I knew I was within hearing distance of two. They really need to hurry up and give away their preferred roost locations so I can put together a plan for the juvie hunt next week.

Latest posts