Mom & Pop Bait Shops

rsimms

We all know that "Mom and Pop" bait shops are a dying breed. But here is the story of a bait shop that has become an institution in Chattanooga, celebrating their 56th Anniversary today!
Jack's Bait & Tackle in Chattanooga Celebrates 56 Years

jacks1.jpgjacks2.jpgjacks3.jpgjacks4.jpgjacks5.jpgjacks6.jpg

Last edited:

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've never been to Jack's (usually fish the other side of Chickamauga), but I have been impressed by her commitment to showcasing merchandise on FB Live during peak fishing months. Seems she's on there every day!!

Our area is blessed to have several nice local shops. The one I frequent in Cleveland is FishTails off Georgetown Road, run by Jamie Tanksley and his wife Jennifer. Dayton has a good one (used to be right at the ramp, now it's moved, I think).

Last edited:

RobDooley

I've never been to Jack's (usually fish the other side of Chickamauga), but I have been impressed by her commitment to showcasing merchandise on FB Live during peak fishing months. Seems she's on there every day!!

Our area is blessed to have several nice local shops. The one I frequent in Cleveland is FishTails off Georgetown Round, run by Jamie Tanksley and his wife Jennifer. Dayton has a good one (used to be right at the ramp, now it's moved, I think).
truly amazing what Tank has in stock. I love that place.

scn

I've had two favorites over the years. The first was a little hole in the wall shop in Bryson City, NC where Dad would always stop to buy us some nightcrawlers (before I got good at collecting them) and spring lizards on our way to Fontana Lake. I always had hopes of a good day when we left there with the lizards.

The other was Jack's Tackle shop in Newport. I bought some of my first trout flies from Jack as a UT student. When I was an officer there, they were my BEST license agent. If I needed to get the word out about a law/rule change, the first thing I did was stop and see Ms. Reba.

One year I got a call from the head of licensing instructing me to go to Jacks and collect all of their licenses and shut them down for failure to pay. I talked to Reba and she assured me all payments had been sent on time. I called the License Head back and told her that the payments had been sent in. The next thing I knew, I was getting a call from the Asst. Director telling me to shut them down. I responded to him, that with all due respect, if he wanted to shut them down, he could drive to Newport and do it, that I wouldn't. I told him I believed Reba. He, obviously, wasn't very happy with me. I spent the next few hours anticipating a call that I was fired. Thankfully, it was one of the time periods I really didn't care one way or another.

But, they found the unopened payments on somebody's desk later that afternoon.

rsimms

I've had two favorites over the years. The first was a little hole in the wall shop in Bryson City, NC where Dad would always stop to buy us some nightcrawlers (before I got good at collecting them) and spring lizards on our way to Fontana Lake. I always had hopes of a good day when we left there with the lizards.

The other was Jack's Tackle shop in Newport. I bought some of my first trout flies from Jack as a UT student. When I was an officer there, they were my BEST license agent. If I needed to get the word out about a law/rule change, the first thing I did was stop and see Ms. Reba.

One year I got a call from the head of licensing instructing me to go to Jacks and collect all of their licenses and shut them down for failure to pay. I talked to Reba and she assured me all payments had been sent on time. I called the License Head back and told her that the payments had been sent in. The next thing I knew, I was getting a call from the Asst. Director telling me to shut them down. I responded to him, that with all due respect, if he wanted to shut them down, he could drive to Newport and do it, that I wouldn't. I told him I believed Reba. He, obviously, wasn't very happy with me. I spent the next few hours anticipating a call that I was fired. Thankfully, it was one of the time periods I really didn't care one way or another.

But, they found the unopened payments on somebody's desk later that afternoon.
Ha! Great story. That took some cajones! Did you, or Reba, ever get any kind of apology from Nashville? And who was the AD? PM if you like.

Coop87

Jack's is a great bait shop with a wide variety of live bait and locally made lures. They helped sponsor a local kids fishing tournament for us and we were so grateful for them.

bigtex

I remember one in Meigs County many, many years ago going towards Watts Bar when I was a teenager. Think the name of it was Websters. It was run by Mr. and Mrs. Webster. Truly a Mom and Pop store if there ever was one. Even had the old Pot bellied stove.

Latest posts