Catfish Bait

Atchman2

So this week I tried something I have never tried before, a prepared catfish bait from Academy. It was in the clearance bin so I tried it. It was garlic pickled shad, only four to a pack. This year I have had a VERY hard time catching catfish in the lake. That is despite watching Catfish Dave haul them in a dozen at a time. The sad thing is I know where he is fishing, but obviously experience matters a lot.

Well with the prepared bait I caught a catfish on every one of them. That just reinforces to me that good bait is the key to catfishing. I mean I have all of the technology, rigs, etc, but haven't had very much success. I guess I need to go down to Lakeshore park with my throw net and load up on shad and pickle them. :D

Catfish Dave this week was using pork chops for bait! While I don't think I would use pork chops, I wouldn't mind trying some of this wild boar I have in the freezer. It is probably getting near freezer burn status anyway.

I did order a bunch of blank lures this week to make my own Demon Dragons. I don't actually think the lure part matters that much, but I would bet the rattle does.

agelessssone

So this week I tried something I have never tried before, a prepared catfish bait from Academy. It was in the clearance bin so I tried it. It was garlic pickled shad, only four to a pack. This year I have had a VERY hard time catching catfish in the lake. That is despite watching Catfish Dave haul them in a dozen at a time. The sad thing is I know where he is fishing, but obviously experience matters a lot.

Well with the prepared bait I caught a catfish on every one of them. That just reinforces to me that good bait is the key to catfishing. I mean I have all of the technology, rigs, etc, but haven't had very much success. I guess I need to go down to Lakeshore park with my throw net and load up on shad and pickle them. :D

Catfish Dave this week was using pork chops for bait! While I don't think I would use pork chops, I wouldn't mind trying some of this wild boar I have in the freezer. It is probably getting near freezer burn status anyway.

I did order a bunch of blank lures this week to make my own Demon Dragons. I don't actually think the lure part matters that much, but I would bet the rattle does.
Strawberry chicken.....
Cut chicken breasts into 3/4" cubes, put in ziplock bag, pour in one packet of Strawberry coolaid, close and marinate over night.
Guaranteed catfish catcher

Sako

I will say this about the Flavors... I carp fish semi often and I cat as many catfish as I do carp on the carp mixture that has corn, breadcrumbs and Strawberry Jell-o mixed together... Fresh caught skipjack is also another very good choice if you are looking for size instead of numbers... I fish almost exclusively Melton Hill FWIW

Atchman2

I will say this about the Flavors... I carp fish semi often and I cat as many catfish as I do carp on the carp mixture that has corn, breadcrumbs and Strawberry Jell-o mixed together... Fresh caught skipjack is also another very good choice if you are looking for size instead of numbers... I fish almost exclusively Melton Hill FWIW
Where do you get the skipjack? I can't ever seem to catch them.

Sako

Where do you get the skipjack? I can't ever seem to catch them.
I catch them... There are some in Bull Run right now... There is a lot of small minnows in the lake at the moment and you can see the skipjacks breaking the surface when hitting them. Tie a few crappie jigs on in like and cast into where they are hitting... real fast or jerk several times and reel then repeat... White hair grubs work well in addition to other... There is also a popeye jig that is pretty small that works well. Tie a few in line and cast and repeat

Sako

I dont mind catching them in melton hill but I wouldn't eat 1 for no amount of $ lol
Now I have eaten most fish but I have not gotten enough courage to try a skipjack... bloody things. FWIW, smaller drums fileted and blacken like a red fish are really good but most people are scared to try one...

C1295

There is a guy fishing Barkley who uses this recipe but after letting it marinate he leaves it on a concrete slab for a few hours in the sun then freezes it till needed. Claims it don't miss
I always let mine sit out a little while before I freeze it as well it's like magic. Had A friend of mine from Florida teach me this trick and I have never not caught one when I used it. May not be a giant always but I have never not caught one on it.

Snowwolfe

How well did the pickled shad stay on the hook?

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have some pork chop scraps from dinner last night, I think I will add some koolaid and try it out.

Latest posts