Another thing I love about Tennessee. Old school bait shops.

Chiflyguy

Back in my previous life, we had bait shops. The kind where you got the 411 and the didn't count minnows.
All left over the past few years.
Even a Chicago landmark, Henry's Bait and Tackle at 31st and Canal by Comiskey Park closed its doors. During perch season in the summer, they'd be open at 4:00 a.m.
Right across the street, under the El train tracks was the Maxwell Street Station. Hot dogs, Polish sausage, and their famous pork chop sandwich with grilled onions and mustard. Get a pork chop, fries,RC(it's the south side) a bucket of minnows and head to Navy Pier and whack some perch on a Sunday morning. About the only time I got along with my dad during my teen years.Fishing.
Now livin down here, I was still ordering my stuff online. Then I discovered Tom's sporting Goods in Morristown.
What an awesome store. A bunch of guys hanging out, talking fishing and always up to help. As far as prices for example, his crankbait prices are cheaper than online.Us older guys talk about the good old days.
Old school bait shops were it.
Good to see them around down here.
Rigbys in Tazewell is another good one. Although it's run by Indians, the family is very nice, bait is a good price and prices are good.

mike243

Went up to Douglas lake 35 years ago with my fatherinlaw crappie fishing, stopped at the bait shop, he nodded at a 1/4 laying on the floor and grinned, shook his head, outside he told me the guy running the place glued it to the floor so they could watch people try to pick it up 😂 , old farts had to have something to laugh about reckon I'd fit right in these days 🤣

Tenntrapper

As soon as I read your thread title....I was going to suggest Tom's. I now see that they are who you were talking about.
I addition to the "bait shop", they have a pretty good archery shop...and way more ammo than I thought they would have.
Good helpful people in there.

Biggun4214

Went up to Douglas lake 35 years ago with my fatherinlaw crappie fishing, stopped at the bait shop, he nodded at a 1/4 laying on the floor and grinned, shook his head, outside he told me the guy running the place glued it to the floor so they could watch people try to pick it up 😂 , old farts had to have something to laugh about reckon I'd fit right in these days 🤣
You were at Ol Cuz's. He gets very few customers.
City made a DUI stop in his parking lot. He came out and told them to move because it interfered with his customers.

Last edited:

Hawk103161

Edgemoor Outdoors in Heiskell is another good small bait shop. Earlier years it was owned by Ed Waddel and he would give us a crankbait every now and then to "Try out " and give him a report. I was about 15 and thought I had hit the jack pot. He gave me a Blue humpback rebel once and I wish I still had it. Caught some nice fish on it. That was 47 some odd years ago. Now I'm pretty sure he sold more beer than anything... Ahhh the Memories..... Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts