Model 7 SS 7mm08 consistency issues

casjoker

It's the 20" stainless/synthetic model and I have had this rifle new since 1997ish. I sighted it in at 100yards with a Leupold 2-7 when I first got it. I would shoot it a couple of times to make sure it was still "on" but never more than a couple of shots. I don't ever remember it being a "shooter" but I have killed a lot of deer with it over the years. All within 120 yards and I actually don't ever remember missing one with this rifle (although I am sure I have). I recently moved and have over 400 yard shoots possible. I put a new Leopold 3-9 on it and tried to sight it in for 200 yards. The thing is all over the place. Core lokt looked like a shotgun pattern. Switched to Hornady's 139 and things at least all moved to the left side of the target. The first 2 shots were heading in the right direction. Then things went sideways. Let the rifle cool for 15 minutes before the last 7 rounds. I did not clean the barrel. I plan on keeping the rifle and a cold shot, clean bore is the most important shot to me because that is usually my hunting situation. I just wish it was more consistent.

Has anyone else had experiences like this with a model 7? Did a little Googling and seems more than a few have but no good answer for a reliable fix.
Hordny 139 soft point. 1st picture first 5 shoots, second picture 7 shoots after 15 minute cool down. The last pic is my brother's rifle (identical to mine) core lokt 3 shots. All from a lead sled and that I regularly shoot sub-moa at 100yards with a Ruger American and Winchester Model 70 (both 308)
model 7 1.jpg
model 7 2.jpg
remington brothers gun.jpg

Has

backyardtndeer

poi shift is not uncommon with different ammo. Move back in to 100. Check rings and mounts.

Another thing to consider, might check trigger pull. Especially if you have been shooting other rifles more.

DaveB

There are a lot of potential causes. Get the barrel clean, be sure the barrel crown is not damaged. Be sure all the scope screws are tight. Pop the stock off and look at where the recoil lug sets. Show any wear? Re-assemble and be sure barrel is not in contact with stock.

Your targets are telling me something is loose.

MUP

Also, shooting more than 3 rounds consecutively may heat up a sporter barrel to the point of throwing wild flyers. I have a 300 WSM that, with handloads, is only a 3 shot rifle before the barrel heats up too much and starts throwing wide shots.

casjoker

I checked everything and it's all tight and where it should be. I didn't get to shoot today hoping to shoot a few rounds tomorrow to confirm what a few have said here and what I have read on the net. A hot dirty barrel equals very poor performance with these thinner barrels/model 7s. l plan to shoot 2 rounds, clean the barrel and let it rest for 30 minutes between 2 shot groups in hopes of getting a solid cold bore zero.

Huntaholic

A model 7 in 7mm/08 is the only configuration Ive ever ran across that I couldn't make shoot to suit me and Ive owned a few of them.

hittingsteal

For starters, take it out of the sled. You can sight it in on that sled your impact will be off around 6 to 7 inches. My advice would be take gun out stock and torque it at specs and be sure you have a decent trigger pull... I would bet if you have gunsmith look at it the cown is not correct. Seen it many times.

casjoker

Curious about taking it out of the sled. My POI seems to be the same for my other rifles off a bi-pod or out of the sled. How does the sled make a difference over other methods of securing the rifle? I am consistently hitting a 10" steel circle at 200 but groups are still crap. Figure that's plenty good enough for deer hunting considering my farthest shoot in the last 15 years has been about 120 yards. Everything else has been 80 or less.

DeerCamp

I had a lot of issues with the hornady super performance ammo out of a similar set up.

Finally found consistency with the heavier hornady ELD.

Good luck!

muddyboots

Mine was not super accurate. But I did find it you let the barrel cool completely it shoots plenty good enough to hunt. I've even took 3 days to shoot a group. 1 shot each afternoon. It would shoot a 11/2 group like that. It's never gonna b a tack driver.

fairchaser

The second target shows a consistent group. No real fliers. But the group is 3 MOA or more. You may need to try different ammo to see what the gun likes. If you have a buddy who reloads, he can help you tune a load. I think the rifle is fine. But, it wouldn't hurt to check the screws and torque them down, especially the action screws. Go back to 100 yards and see how it groups. Then you'll know if it shoots MOA then it's the ammo. Give it a good cleaning but shoot a couple foulers before you make any judgment. It's not uncommon for a rifle to shoot decent at 100 but that not hold out further. Lots of things come into play such as consistent velocities and barrel harmonics. Often a different ammo can make a big difference.

Latest posts