Mineral lick choices

TheLBLman

When establishing a new lick, the deer may find it sooner if you initially "top" it with something like molasses or peanut butter (just don't do this within a month of deer season opening, as molasses or peanut butter would be considered a food-source "bait", illegal).

It's legal (in TN) to hunt over a salt lick.
But most salt-lick usage is during the hottest summer months, and bucks will relatively stop using the licks about the same time their antlers harden, which is before archery season opens in TN.

I've also noticed a bachelor group of bucks will sometimes totally stop using a particular salt lick with just a single human intrusion (such as to check a trail cam or replenish the lick). This is one of the reasons I often prefer the licks be less noticeable to a passing human. It may not be that those bucks stop licking salt, but instead just begin using a different lick within their range. Suspect most TN bucks will be aware of numerous salt licks within their home ranges.

catman529

TheLBLman":h09el9hg said:
But most salt-lick usage is during the hottest summer months, and bucks will relatively stop using the licks about the same time their antlers harden, which is before archery season opens in TN. .
actually that salt lick I posted a pic of gets regular pics of most of my bucks during the first couple weeks of archery season, and sporadically throughout the rest of season too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allchokedup

I made this mineral site last week and got 99 picks in two days. It has a Trophy Rock and Deer Cane on it.
I was surprised the does are hitting this much.

Attachments

• PICT0091.JPG
    PICT0091.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,143
  • PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,144
  • PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,140

Boone 58

jpierce111":2j4tj24x said:
I am about to start some new mineral licks this Spring.
I have purchased a bag of trace mineral salt from the local Tractor supply.
I am sure it is intended for domestic livestock but isn't this the same ingredients as those expensive rocks and deer blocks?

I have used about 4000 #s of Trace mineral over the last 15 years or so and I can tell you the deer cant get enough of it, especially the lactating does. Put up a game cam and you can get 2000 pics in a few short weeks at 5 to 10 minute intervals. Trust me on this one.

Attachments

• ICAM0378.JPG
    ICAM0378.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,073

SALTMAN

CBU93 , the difference is those two salts have zero minerals . Redmond ( both TR and number 10 ) have over 60 minerals in them . If you just want to see a hole in the ground , you can use any salt . If you want to improve the health give them minerals along with the salt . Difference in the rock vs number 10 is that the number 10', being fine leeches into the ground much faster after a rain . Then the deer are forced to eat dirt in an effort to get the salt . The rock lasts much longer , especially placed on a stump , and they get more benefit of the minerals licking directly on the rock , dirt not included . They do slack off using when it gets colder , but still do lick even in the snow . Does get used to using trails into the lick and continue to do so even if they do not stop and lick . Bucks naturally use these same trails during the rut looking for a girlfriend .

catman529

At roughly $10 for 50 pound bag I don't mind if my salt leeches into the ground faster. I pour out a new bag every spring and the deer love it.

allchokedup

I would love to get some of the Redmond #10, but no one carry's it here. I've tried the co-op's in Livingston and Cookeville and also the Tractor Supply. Checked on line , but they want $30 shipping.
I talked with the Trophy Rock staff at the NWTF Convention and asked them if they work for Redmond too, the guy said yes. I asked why a bag of Redmond # 10 cost $12 and Trophy Rock is so much more expensive. He ignored me.
If anyone knows where it is sold near Cookeville / Livingston TN. please let me know. The guy at our co-op said they won't order it.
Thanks

flyinpro

I buy the trace mineral salk blocks from thr TSC. I might try the Redmond if I can find it. Are there any concerns with the deer eating dirt to get at the salt? There has to be some effect one would think.

Anyone else wondering about this? Good info here.

Jcalder

allchokedup":u7tdll1c said:
I would love to get some of the Redmond #10, but no one carry's it here. I've tried the co-op's in Livingston and Cookeville and also the Tractor Supply. Checked on line , but they want $30 shipping.
I talked with the Trophy Rock staff at the NWTF Convention and asked them if they work for Redmond too, the guy said yes. I asked why a bag of Redmond # 10 cost $12 and Trophy Rock is so much more expensive. He ignored me.
If anyone knows where it is sold near Cookeville / Livingston TN. please let me know. The guy at our co-op said they won't order it.
Thanks
may be a long shot but have you tried byrdstown

allchokedup

Jcalder":2ea89nu7 said:
allchokedup":2ea89nu7 said:
Thanks
may be a long shot but have you tried byrdstown

No, but I will try that.
Thank you.

TN Larry

I can't remember the exact name, but the feed store on Willow in Cookeville carries the Redmond's in a bag. I think it may be called Putnam Farm Supply.

allchokedup

TN Larry":3i35y3n9 said:
I can't remember the exact name, but the feed store on Willow in Cookeville carries the Redmond's in a bag. I think it may be called Putnam Farm Supply.

That sounds great ! I'll check them out.
Thanks