Mineral lick choices

jpierce111

I am about to start some new mineral licks this Spring.
I have purchased a bag of trace mineral salt from the local Tractor supply.
I am sure it is intended for domestic livestock but isn't this the same ingredients as those expensive rocks and deer blocks?

Boll Weevil

Champions Choice 50lb red mineral blocks cut in half per each lick. $6 a block, read the label to see the mineral content...and well...buy Trophy Rock if you must.

It's your money.

catman529

Redmond #10 fine mineral salt in the 50 pound bag is the same exact salt as trophy rock, but in granulated form. They both come from Redmond in Utah where they mine the salt.

7f51e8765472c10511ee5ef65bf3cfb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arctic_cat

trace mineral, salt, and dicalcium phosphate is what we use. 2 scoops trace, 1 scoop salt, and 1 scoop dical and repeat until 5gal bucket is full. then we mix it back and forth from that bucket to another so its good and mixed and go spread it around in our normal spots.

cbhunter

catman529":3k8ib32w said:
Redmond #10 fine mineral salt in the 50 pound bag is the same exact salt as trophy rock, but in granulated form. They both come from Redmond in Utah where they mine the salt.

Price and place of purchase?

catman529

cbhunter":2rqpaz16 said:
catman529":2rqpaz16 said:

co-op and last time I checked the price it was under $10

Hunter 257W

In the past I used mostly Evolved Habitat "Rack UP" or one of the Whitetail Institute products as the main basis of my licks and topped them with the fruit or corn flavored liquids that you always see in the gallon jugs. Last year I found a left over 50 lb bag of salt/minerals for cattle in one of my barns and used that. I'm going to look for some of the Redmond in a bag this year. You don't need more than about 10 lbs at a time and a 50 lb bag will keep several licks going for a year at that rate. Way back in the past I half buried the big blocks of cattle salt from the CO-OP. Can't recall the weight but I think they were about 33 lbs. Those work great too.

allchokedup

catman529":mmdv6paa said:
cbhunter":mmdv6paa said:
catman529":mmdv6paa said:

co-op and last time I checked the price it was under $10

That's a good price. I hope our CO-OP carries it.
Thanks

allchokedup

Catman529 is absolutely correct on Trophy Rock and Redmond being the same product. I went to Redmond's website ( Real Salt ) and Trophy Rocks website and they show the exact same salt mine. They both come out of the same hole in the ground. LOL !
It's exactly the same product. :super:

TheLBLman

I've noticed that, too. :tu:
Yes, Catman, why do you dig such holes?

Actually, Scubacamper, it's the deer themselves that are making those holes. As they paw & lick the ground to get the salt, the holes form and get larger, deeper over time.

For the most part, salt is salt, and the deer don't seem to mind which "brand" you're giving them. I use a lot of red trace mineral salt, which I get at my local Farmers' Co-Op in a 50-lb bag, cheap.

However, I also use quite a few of Saltman's Trophy Rocks annually as well.
I do this mainly for two reasons:

1) The Trophy Rocks can be less noticeable to a passing human in certain locations.
There's simply "spots" I'd prefer the salt lick be less noticed. The deer will lick the rock, instead of the ground, except as rain washes that rock's salt into the ground, you may ultimately still end up with a big hole in the ground. But it typically takes longer to happen.

2) There are places I simply don't want an atv-swallowing hole to develop, but just happen to also be the most ideal "spots" for a salt lick.

To make your lick "spots" less noticeable to a passing human, simply use the Trophy Rocks, but try to never let them come in contact with the ground. Eventually, there will be salt washing off the rock to the ground, but you can minimize the deer making the hole by periodically replacing the rock.

My preference is to use a slightly elevated tree stump, so the deer are ultimately digging a hole inside or kinda under the side of that stump, which can greatly camouflage the hole. And someone walking by may not notice the Trophy Rock sitting inside the stump, as the stump sides will often camouflage the rock.

But once there is a large hole established, it just makes good economic sense to purchase 50-lb bags of red trace mineral salt.