Mineral and Corn

DoubleRidge

That destroys the entire reasoning behind food plot strategies LOL.

I'm guessing by your "LOL" your kinda joking....but I've had similar conversations with a co-worker who felt if food plots were legal then corn pile bait sites should be legal....and I couldn't disagree more. The following comments taken from a QDMA article makes several good points to consider:

"Due to their size and amount of food produced, food plots spread deer out over a much larger area than bait sites, and thus they mimic natural forage in woods and fields. This reduces stress on animals, minimizes aggressive behavior, reduces direct contact with individuals thus reducing possible transmission of diseases and parasites, provides more access to forage by subordinate animals, and allows more individuals to feed at the same time. In contrast, bait sites tend to congregate animals in a very small area which exacerbates stress, aggression, exclusion, disease transmission, and habitat degradation."

In addition to food plots being a healthy food source....they can also provide cover... plantings such as sorghum and sunflowers provide cover for deer and other species, while many other food plot varieties provide cover for a variety of small game and birds....Bait sites only provide cover for pathogens and parasites.

Snowwolfe

Back to my original post.................I am only trying to find a decent food that will attract deer to the site where the wife can view them.
So, is there anything comparable to the cost of corn that is healthier?

DoubleRidge

Back to my original post.................I am only trying to find a decent food that will attract deer to the site where the wife can view them.

And I totally understand the desire...as a kid growing up my grandparents had an area in the edge of the woods where they would dump table scrap, bird seed, corn and anything else edible....late in evening we would sight on the screen porch quietly and watch deer come and go... raccoon, fox, birds, etc.....great memories....and today my wife buys black oil sunflower seed by 40 lb bag to fill multiple bird feeders....it's fun to watch..... but as for anything comparable to the cost of corn that is healthier for feeding deer....I'm not aware of any product.

JCDEERMAN

I've had similar conversations with a co-worker who felt if food plots were legal then corn pile bait sites should be legal....and I couldn't disagree more.
Totally agree DR. I've never understood that stance (someone calling a food plot "baiting"). Playing devil's advocate from a slightly different angle, say we were to all agree that a food plot was baiting......who would determine the size of that plot being "bait" versus actually feeding the animals? That would be quite the conversation - aka argument.

Quite simply, IMO, if you plant anything in the ground and it goes throughout its "natural growing process" for the consumption of any and all animals, that is a positive scenario.

BSK

I wish I had a good answer for you RandyinTN, but I don't. In the winter, I have no problem with people feeding deer corn. It is loaded with carbohydrates, which is in need during cold weather, and the temps are too low for mold growth. But corn in summer is not only dangerous, but unhealthy. Deer don't need many carbs in summer, and tempting them to load up on something they don't really need instead of natural forages is not in their best interest.

Rakkin6

By no means am I a biologist but I think any natural food should be fine. Maybe plant some cucumbers, tomatoes etc this should be fine I would think. It may be a little costly but it could satisfy both needs of herd health and your wife's fondness of seeing deer. If there is someone with more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong about this

BSK

You want deer? Plant sweet potatoes! Honestly, they go nuts over those. Only problem is they eat the vines to the ground as soon as they come up.