Maybe 40,000 year old recipe. Mead. (orange)

BamaProud

This is something you could literally make in the wild with essentially no modern equipment with the exception of a vessel to hold the beverage.

Honey isn't cheep, so I decided not to spend 100 dollars to make a 5gal batch. I used 3.5 pounds of local honey, a few allspice berries, a few juniper berries and a little cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor. Could have added yeast but I am gambling a little and attempting to let it ferment with natural airborne yeasts. Its kinda rumored or theorized that if you use local honey, you have a better chance that local yeasts will create a pleasant beverage instead of something nasty(or even something that could make you sick).

Should be ready in about 2 months.

20141002_134051_zpsnvbv71xv.jpg

The history of Mead:
http://www.medovina.com/history.htm

TAFKAP

Interesting�..I hope it works out. I wish I had read about this last month when we were pulling 20lbs of honeycomb from our siding.

I think I'll try talking to the folks at Wolf River Honey about some of their leftover comb. This will be awesome to try. I can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

BamaProud

I dont know the yeast strain. Gambling a bit. Ripe peaches (skins) from locally grown peaches and contain natural yeast. I got them from Jones orchard in millington. Its kinda rumored or theorized that if you use local honey, you have a better chance that local yeasts will create a pleasant beverage instead of something nasty(or even something that could make you sick).

BamaProud

Still clearing. I'm thinking it will be ready in a couple weeks...just in time for our annual Thanksgiving party/get-together. I've got a bunch of Apple Cider, Blackberry Merlot, Strawberry Wine, Hefeweizen, Apple Ale and Wheat Pale Ale that I have been saving for the occasion too. Should be extra jovial this year :)

20141112_134809_zpsdtill2pz.jpg