Mature bucks....

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One thing for sure I have learned if you want to get better battery life out of your trail cam, go into an area to hunt with the PERFECT wind and then let it literally change directions three times in the matter of 2 hours.

The more I observe regarding mature bucks the more I believe I will never kill one. :D

I knew we got messed up Saturday afternoon but I had no idea the deer would COMPLETELY avoid the area for 3 days (so far).

I just hope he decides to come back eventually.

I have never really hunted an area on a regular basis where my odds of killing a mature buck were very good.
Now that I do, I don't think my odds are any better. :D

Very frustrating but I kinda like it. ;)

Ruger,
Hunting old, hunter wary (ie-"mature") bucks, is a whole different kind of hunting. Oddly enough, I have found that bowhunting for them has not handicapped me in any way. Shot ops generally occur quick and close. I rarely sit when I have hunted these creatures.

These animals act..."different", almost weird. I have had many encounters with these animals, mostly to their demise. The ones that got away haunt me to this day. I often think about them.

I can count the number of times I have encountered the same mature buck twice, on one hand. Never more than that.

For me, hunting these animals is just too costly. Not in money, but in TIME. I sacrificed for a few years, and accomplished my goal of killing a few mature bucks, but to be honest, along the way, things got to be too serious. It changed the kind of hunter and person I wanted to be.

The reality is that for me, while I was pursuing the old bucks, I had bad "balance" in my life. Things were off kilter for my family and friends. I was OBSESSED.

Now, balance is better. I hunt for old deer during the rut and mostly up North. Usually only a couple weeks per year.

(I do however have this one old bruiser located not too far from home. And if I can, I will give him a couple of sits this season. He is close to home.)

I already have his track and routine for the Summer. Hope it holds for a couple more weeks.

BTW, I have seen places where deer were in plenty, and sign abundant. In the past, I have scouted, trimmed, and hung stands in these places, only to COMPLETELY run deer out for the rest of the season.

BSK

RUGER said:
I have never really hunted an area on a regular basis where my odds of killing a mature buck were very good.

Ruger,

This is the concept I have the most difficulty getting hunters to believe until they have experienced it themselves. In fact, that is exactly why I tell prospective clients that I can help them grow and attract mature bucks to their property, but that doesn't mean they will EVER kill or see one.

In addition, that's why I always have to laugh at the large percentage of hunters who believe those who consistently kill mature bucks only do so because mature bucks exist in their area. In reality, mature bucks live in most of TN. Mature bucks aren't the rarity; hunters who can consistently kill them are.

bigtex

I've killed a few mature bucks but my approach is probably different than most.
I don't hunt where the buck is now, I hunt where he will be when the rut fires up.
Most of the mature bucks I have killed I had never seen before nor have I ever got a trail cam pic of. But after hunting the same property for many years I know pretty much where these unseen bucks will be when the time is right.

Winchester

BSK said:
RUGER said:

Ruger,

This is the concept I have the most difficulty getting hunters to believe until they have experienced it themselves. In fact, that is exactly why I tell prospective clients that I can help them grow and attract mature bucks to their property, but that doesn't mean they will EVER kill or see one.

In addition, that's why I always have to laugh at the large percentage of hunters who believe those who consistently kill mature bucks only do so because mature bucks exist in their area. In reality, mature bucks live in most of TN. Mature bucks aren't the rarity; hunters who can consistently kill them are.
Amen BSK, and I am truly entertained by those who think the hunters who kill mature bucks fairly consistently are just simply "Lucky"! Like 102 said, I too went thru a time period where I was truly obsessed with killing them, and I too was fairly successful at it, but it nearly cost me a divorce and many other things along the way! Now that my kids have started hunting I much more enjoy watching them shoot whatever makes them happy, and Im good with only limiting myself to Mature buck hunting during November! I cant stress enough what it takes to become consistently successful at killing mature bucks, and the large majority of hunters simply don't/wont or aren't even capable of making the commitments necessary to do so!! All this said, with the TV shows so abundant with huge antlers these days, most TN hunters wont even be happy with the size of mature bucks they will occasionally kill in TN because they are so out of touch with reality from the so "unreal" hunting shows!
A totally different animal indeed! ;)

fairchaser

It seems like we want to give mature bucks artificial intelligence; like they know what we are thinking and circumvent our intentions. They HAVE fined tuned their senses and wariness in addition to limiting their daytime movement. But, they are just a deer who has learned to avoid most hunters with our advertising enhanced tactics and tricks. Often we are defeated before we leave the truck. They don't act like other deer just like a man doesn't act like a boy anymore. What makes them hard to kill is they are limited in number and they avoid stupid mistakes that get younger deer killed. They don't screw around at all. As hunters it is difficult to change the tactics that have allowed us to be successful on younger deer. We want to hunt the places where we see the most deer, the heaviest trails, etc. I avoid open fields because I am sure a mature buck would never be caught in the open. NOT. Whatever you expect a deer to do, often a mature buck will do the opposite. I think this is why the beginner sometimes gets lucky because he hasn't been trained on what he SHOULD do. He just goes into an area, we wouldn't be caught dead in. That may be where a mature buck senses no danger until the 12 year old kills him with a slug gun. If you have the opportunity to watch a mature buck in the woods when he not chasing something, you can learn alot about how they respond to their environment. It's simply amazing.

KENBOB10

I quit killing small bucks several years ago. Don't get me wrong, kill any deer that makes you happy. I just have killed quite a few and don't get the thrill of it anymore. My son takes care of all the MEAT issues we have.Lol I started hunting MATURE BUCKS and its a whole new ballgame. Forget about what you learned to get where you are now. I've learned more about deer since then than I had the entire time I was just hunting. Watching deer is one of the best tools you can use. I've killed MATURE BUCKS that had left absolutely no sign of their presence in my area. I know this for a fact because I always look for the sign before and even after I killed them. You can get them, but be prepared to spend some deerless hunts.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
fairchaser said:
If you have the opportunity to watch a mature buck in the woods when he not chasing something, you can learn alot about how they respond to their environment. It's simply amazing.

I learned more last year in 30 minutes watching a mature buck than I have known my entire hunting life.

I told a friend at work, after watching that buck I don't see how anyone ever kills one.
You are right, it is indeed simply amazing.

KENBOB10

RUGER said:
fairchaser said:
If you have the opportunity to watch a mature buck in the woods when he not chasing something, you can learn alot about how they respond to their environment. It's simply amazing.

I learned more last year in 30 minutes watching a mature buck than I have known my entire hunting life.

I told a friend at work, after watching that buck I don't see how anyone ever kills one.
You are right, it is indeed simply amazing.

Absolutely. I've watched them remain totally motionless for over 30 minutes. The only thing they moved was the ears.

BSK

KENBOB10 said:
I quit killing small bucks several years ago. Don't get me wrong, kill any deer that makes you happy. I just have killed quite a few and don't get the thrill of it anymore. My son takes care of all the MEAT issues we have.Lol I started hunting MATURE BUCKS and its a whole new ballgame. Forget about what you learned to get where you are now.

I fully get your excitement for hunting mature bucks. Been there and done that. But now imagine the day pursuing even mature bucks loses its interest. I know it sounds impossible, but it will happen. As others who have "been there" have pointed out, eventually the pursuit of mature bucks will cost more personally than it is worth. Eventually, every mature buck purist is forced to admit this to themselves.

BSK said:
KENBOB10 said:
I quit killing small bucks several years ago. Don't get me wrong, kill any deer that makes you happy. I just have killed quite a few and don't get the thrill of it anymore. My son takes care of all the MEAT issues we have.Lol I started hunting MATURE BUCKS and its a whole new ballgame. Forget about what you learned to get where you are now.

I fully get your excitement for hunting mature bucks. Been there and done that. But now imagine the day pursuing even mature bucks loses its interest. I know it sounds impossible, but it will happen. As others who have "been there" have pointed out, eventually the pursuit of mature bucks will cost more personally than it is worth. Eventually, every mature buck purist is forced to admit this to themselves.

WOW Bryan, now you are scaring me.

This is so true and I fully agree.

THere is a time and a place. I think there are those who have few family commitments, or work commitments that are capable of pursuing mature deer exclusively, but these hunters are few and far between, and trust me, most of these guys are NOT looking for company.

Every one I have ever met was seriously closed mouth about the who, what and where of their hunting endeavors.
Mouthy solo hunters in pursuit of big bucks don't do to well in the long haul.

I am in a place where I can now pursue big deer in the Month of November, and be happy. If I walk away with a 3.5 year old 110 inch buck with a broadhead through its' lungs, from public land, I am happy. It hasn't always been that way.

For me, and my family, this way is much better.

tickweed

As stated, a totally different animal. They take very little pressure. Most of you guys already know this. The few I have taken, and had chances at, as 102 was talking about, where mostly during bow season. The deer never knew they where being hunted, and walked by as if not a care in the world. However the ones I blew the chances on where a one time deal. Never seen em again. I also was obessed at one time, got hung up on the horn deal. Be careful what you wish for. Now my girls love to hunt, and that's all I really care about. If I kill a big deer, great, but if not, Ive had my day.

KENBOB10

BSK said:
KENBOB10 said:

I smell what your stepping in Brian. The only exception for me right now is the ability to spend a lot of time in the woods. I can't walk around, but I can GET around. My wife don't mind (37 years will do that) so right now I am enjoying it. I'm certainly not denying you are right though. I do have a granddaughter now that I am looking forward to showing the ropes as I know them. It will be awhile though.

de novo

102 said:
For me, hunting these animals is just too costly. Not in money, but in TIME. I sacrificed for a few years, and accomplished my goal of killing a few mature bucks, but to be honest, along the way, things got to be too serious. It changed the kind of hunter and person I wanted to be.

The reality is that for me, while I was pursuing the old bucks, I had bad "balance" in my life. Things were off kilter for my family and friends. I was OBSESSED.

Good points. I love to hunt but while my kids are growing up I refuse to sit in a tree all day, every day waiting on a big buck. Hunting time is planned around ballgames, school events, and birthday parties right now. I'll go back to being a hardcore hunter when I have an empty nest with no regrets.

MattR

I just want to kill a couple mature ones. I think it is a different ball game completely and I like the challenge of it. I have killed 1 over 4.5 and it was only because I knew where he was bedding and knew the route he would use to leave. It was on public land and I knew the pressure would be there, but I had no idea he was even there. The only mature deer I have targeted was when I was 17, and I was out smarted everytime. I seem him twice and he wouldn't let me see him again.

Hunter 257W

I pull the definition of mature down to 3 1/2 yrs old and a big rack is over 100 inches. :) I will be very happy to get a few of those in addition to the two I have taken. Anything beyond that will honestly be luck because I'm not going to make deer hunting like a job when I am supposed to be doing it for fun. Also the meat would be far FAR cheaper at the grocery store. :)

Latest posts