Lowly .243 goes the distance this year

7mminatree

I absolutly love the 100 gr. Seirra Gamekings push by a full charge of IMR 7828 at over 3100 fps. Killed a 9pt. back in 2007 on a power line easement at 367 yards, double lung pass thru, DRT.

DaveB

The use of IMR7828 in a 243 may surprise you but it works very very well.

The 100 grain Partition on top of Nosler book max 7828 was my goto load for years. Killed piggies on Catalina & Hunter-Ligget, mule deer doe, and the funniest looking spike I had ever seen. Every deer was bang flop.

DaveB

Yep I keep forgetting.

IMR7828 has a problem in that it bridges a bit worse than other powders-I think it is the worst at bridging of any powder. Hodgdon decided to fix this by cutting the extrusions into smaller pieces (SC short cut and SSC which is super short cut). Now all the data sheets and so on make no distinction between the powder types but caution is recommended.

If you have been loading IMR7828 and are going to try IMR7828 SSC, you should do what you always do when you change a component in your loading process. Start at the lowest recommended level and move up, watching for over-pressure signs such as cratered primers and sticky extractions.

mike243

Cool. I have used several different bullets in mine but most have been 100g. Been shooting the fed loaded with 100g Sierra btail and is supposed to keep 1000lbs to 400y.

gunhuntr

vonb..., good post, glad to hear you had success with "lowly 243". I too hunted for over 20 + years w/ an '06, shot a mess of deer w/ 150g & 180g bullets or various types.

I never personally used the 85g sierra GK but have seen them used w/ good results. I used the 100g sierra GK and 100g hornady interlock with good results.

Someone mention the nosler 95g ballistic tip, I heard that's suppose to be one heck of a good 6mm bullet.

I even hear that the 243 works on larger body antlered animals.....dare I say...... like "elk"!!!!

ewc

.243 is a fantastic round. I find myself hunting with my daughter's .243 most of the time I step into the woods. The primary reason is because it's HER gun and even if she's not present, she wants me hunting with HER gun. That being said, no way a $300 gun is in the same ballpark as a $1,000 gun. At least not in my world.

Her gun shoots a legitimate 1/2 moa. I've got nearly $2,500.00 in the gun, gunsmithing, and optic (optic was $1,300).

I am of the mindset that you get what you pay for and buy once, cry once.

Maybe I'm wrong...

gunhuntr

mr.big":opfhbx4j said:
can you get over pressure from 7828 in a 243?? I been thinking about a hot 7 twist 6mm of some kind to shoot the 115VLDs

I like the way you think!! :tu:
If you do it please post about it. What barrel manufacturer are you thinking of using? what length?

mr.big

I have an 8 twist 6 BRDX Kreiger HV barrel in the basement now I am waiting on a seater die before switching barrels on my 6.5x47L,,my 25-06 is toast and I am considering a 243 or 6mm Rem AI,if I do go 6mm instead of 7mm it will be a .236 7.5 twist #3b Krieger finished at 26 inches,,the 115 VLD about 3350 fps should make a good point blank deer/yote rifle

vonb

ewc":28u3ugwf said:
.243 is a fantastic round. I find myself hunting with my daughter's .243 most of the time I step into the woods. The primary reason is because it's HER gun and even if she's not present, she wants me hunting with HER gun. That being said, no way a $300 gun is in the same ballpark as a $1,000 gun. At least not in my world.

Her gun shoots a legitimate 1/2 moa. I've got nearly $2,500.00 in the gun, gunsmithing, and optic (optic was $1,300).

I am of the mindset that you get what you pay for and buy once, cry once.

Maybe I'm wrong...

I agree to a point. I too have custom actions, trued actions with all of them having custom barrels, custom work as well as some decent optics. These are custom rigs where a price point wasn't my primary objective. However, there's no guessing what they should do; I expect it for the money spent and they do it.

What I enjoy is taking a factory rig and seeing what it can do and for a sub $300 rifle, the smile on my face is just as big (or bigger) than using my custom rigs. Will it ever be as smooth as a Surgeon or Borden? Nope. Does this action feel gritty and scratch brass? Yep. Will the Nikon Prostaff glass be as clear as S&B or Nightforce? Nope. That wasn't the plan here. This is a rig that was bought off of the shelf and put into use without having to worry about waiting a year on a 'smith or 6 months for a McMillan/Manners stock. My expectations for this are different than a custom rig...Lastly, a custom buy once, cry once rifle does not make the shooter. Practice and knowing your rifle does and this can be done with factory or custom.

PillsburyDoughboy

I think the .243 is a fine cartridge . I particularly like the .243 in a ultralight or Rem 7 configuration. To me the .243 in a spotter weight or heavy barrel varmint is sorta out of place.

I think if I were going to suggest a new build to someone tomorrow it would be a 6.5 Creedmore in a sporter weight. Something tipping the scales at 7 lbs. 22 inch barrel. The 6.5 Creedmore does not give much more off the shoulder than the .243 but everything seems to be better with it. Talk about flat trajectory, it seems like that perfect cartridge everyone is looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vonb

My primary hunting rig is a Sako 75 in a .260. I think it's about the perfect cartridge (among others) for deer hunting. I doubt I'll replace it with the .243 but it's nice to have options.

WGK

I have had really good success with 100gr Nosler Partition. In my 243. Haven't hunted with that gun in years. The little rifle is a shooter its a tang safety Ruger 77 with a serial # 2034. Very early gun.

AllOutdoors

vonb":3cimtxev said:
My primary hunting rig is a Sako 75 in a .260. I think it's about the perfect cartridge (among others) for deer hunting. I doubt I'll replace it with the .243 but it's nice to have options.

I like the 260 over the 243 myself.

Sent from this smart thingamajig using tapatalk.

Latest posts