Low on acorns= less buck sign?

Football Hunter

Sounds like it to me,have not found many acorns at all,and very little buck sign.The biggest acorn crop I ever saw at my place also had the most buck sign.Not much data,but seems to go together.
Anyone else notice the same?

bowriter

R.I.P.
I got acorns out the whazoo. I got acorns falling out of maple trees.

I got zero buck sign. Not the first rub. But I see the bucks.

Super8

I was afraid the extremely hot weather we had would affect the acorn crop. It didn't bother it in any of the places I hunt and I have not seen so many acorns in years. Seems the Deer do not have to travel much and Deer sightings are down (way down) for me this year. This coming weekend is KY MuzzleLoader hopefully things pick up.

Pursuit Hunter

Football Hunter said:
Pursuit Hunter said:
I've got millions of white oak acorns and lots of buck sign.
So maybe it does corrulate,weird thing is,this is the 3rd year in a row with few acorns at my place
I think when bucks are on their feet feeding on acorns they will make what I call feeding rubs. I don't think they serve any social purpose. The small trees nearby are just targets of opportunity for the bucks to give the new headgear a workout on. Just my theory...

BSK

Football Hunter said:
Sounds like it to me,have not found many acorns at all,and very little buck sign.The biggest acorn crop I ever saw at my place also had the most buck sign.Not much data,but seems to go together.
Anyone else notice the same?

Documented effect. In acorn-driven deer herds, rubbing and scraping is strongly linked to acorn crops. Not necessarily when they appear, but the total amount of rubbing and scraping over the course of an entire fall/winter season.

BSK

Football Hunter,

I had been saying our acorn crop was very poor this year. But then I had been assessing it by driving our roads and looking at how many trees were dropping acorns in the roads. However, all of our roads are at the crest of the ridge-tops, and acorn production there is terrible this year (with the exception of a few Mountain Chestnut Oaks). But over the weekend I got down on some of our steep hillsides and hard to reach valleys, and those areas have quite good acorn production this year, especially the Whites Oaks. I think the June/July drought really did a number on the oaks on the thinnest, driest ridge-top soils, but on the shadier hillsides, especially the north-facing ones, I'm finding very good acorns.

What had been a year I thought was going to a be "2" on a scale of 1 to 10 has turned into at least a "6."

Latest posts