Lots of talk…

CritterGitter

Set 12 and caught 3 last night . Used dry cat food and marshmallows . Gonna use some loud smellin wet food next go round
20230120_072815.jpg

JCDEERMAN

But what about armadillos?
What is their impact to nesting turkeys?
That's a good question and one I haven't read a single definitive answer to yet in anything that's been published. I know one thing, the higher the population of armadillos grew over the years at our place, the less turkeys we have seen. Now, I don't know if having, what seems to be, a rebounding turkey population has to do with our extensive trapping efforts OR annihilating the armadillos….but we have taken the approach of "kill them all" - why not? Used to be, we got after them because they tore up all our fields and roads. When the idea of turkey nest invasions came to the brain, we really got after them.

To me, it's just plain logic. 1) They are supposed to be mostly nocturnal. 2) they live by their nose. 3) what doesn't like eggs? They eat worms and grubs - only so much of those to go around.

We waged war on them years ago. The first day I sought out to kill them, I killed 7 in about 2 hours. The .17 stays on my golf cart. Used to be you could walk up to them and shoot them. Nowadays, if they hear footsteps, they take off. The .17 eliminates the need for footsteps

Fearless

Spent most of my day in a tree with predator call going. No luck

Attachments

• Resized_20230120_122547.jpeg
    Resized_20230120_122547.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Resized_20230120_122604.jpeg
    Resized_20230120_122604.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 82

Planking

Set 12 and caught 3 last night . Used dry cat food and marshmallows . Gonna use some loud smellin wet food next go round
View attachment 164791
Im switching baits as well. Im going to use sardines in soybean oil next time i set. I think the dog food/marshmellow combo has ran its course for a while on my place even though im still getting pics of coons.

deerhunter10

Im switching baits as well. Im going to use sardines in soybean oil next time i set. I think the dog food/marshmellow combo has ran its course for a while on my place even though im still getting pics of coons.
I use fruit loops and strawberry Hersey syrup on top. Used to use the cheapest cat food with strawberry syrup on top they seem to love the fruit loops

Setterman

Good on everyone actively helping out. I live over and hour from the areas I hunt and it's all public lands or I'd be wearing their butts out myself

Hduke86

I will hang a can of wet cat food or tuna in a tree to where coons cants reach it. I then set the traps with dry food. I draw them in as far away as I can to catch and kill them. I don't want to just kill everyone of them on my property but all of my surrounding neighbors as well and drawing them in with tuna or cat food up in the air works pretty well.

TN Larry

I will hang a can of wet cat food or tuna in a tree to where coons cants reach it. I then set the traps with dry food. I draw them in as far away as I can to catch and kill them. I don't want to just kill everyone of them on my property but all of my surrounding neighbors as well and drawing them in with tuna or cat food up in the air works pretty well.
How do you hang it in the tree?

Hduke86

I just pull the tab on a can type lid and open it halfway and then find a branch about head high and tie it with some string. Think of it like a piñata. I just want the smell of food to make it's way as far as it can onto neighbors property so the coons come to it and get interested in my traps that are baited.
How do you hang it in the tree?

JCDEERMAN

We added 3 more grinners this morning. That makes 9 so far for 2023

We are having a problem with, I believe, ants. Something has been cleaning out several of our traps, even just overnight. We placed cameras up over a few of them and nothing was on them. I've seen beetles in them in the warmer months. I've seen a few ants, but not enough to wipe out a trap that quick. If it is ants, we'll need to figure something out.

paboom

I've always had a lot of success using marshmallows with vanilla poured over them. I use a combo of the big marshmallows (one big one below the trigger) and smaller ones to drop in and around the traps.

Shanman

We added 3 more grinners this morning. That makes 9 so far for 2023

We are having a problem with, I believe, ants. Something has been cleaning out several of our traps, even just overnight. We placed cameras up over a few of them and nothing was on them. I've seen beetles in them in the warmer months. I've seen a few ants, but not enough to wipe out a trap that quick. If it is ants, we'll need to figure something out.
I'm thinking those little deer mice are the culprits most nights. Good deal on the possums. 👍

JCDEERMAN

I'm thinking those little deer mice are the culprits most nights. Good deal on the possums. 👍
Could be. We've caught 2 mice this year and one last year. We also caught a tweetie bird last year as well. When I walk up on those mice, I just think, "man, that's a hell of a way to go!"