Son’s first of the year

TN Larry

It's been a great morning. Got on this bird roost gobbling in our first listening spot and took after him.

We were low and of course he was high. Lol. It got daylight quicker than I thought it would this morning, and he hit the ground sometime before we got up to him. It didn't matter as he continued to gobble and we had a good way to get to him as he was on one side of a ridge and we were coming up the other. We finally got up to his level to set up on him. He knew how to play the game. He would gobble his head off but didn't wanna come any closer. He also wanted to be called to and didn't like the silent treatment. If I went silent on him, he would lose interest and start drifting away. We made three moves on him in the process and was pushing the limit on getting busted on our last setup. We still had the terrain to our advantage and I decided to pour the calling to him. He went ballistic gobbling and marched his way to the gun.

I bet he gobbled a minimum of 200 times but still stood his ground until he couldn't stand it any longer. I'm so glad to be able to walk correctly again and chase woods turkeys. I've been fortunate to have some easier field spots to hunt the last two years and needed it because of my hips but love chasing them in the timber.

22.3 lbs
1 1/8" spurs
10 1/4" beard

Tomorrow will make the last time he gets to step in the woods as a juvenile which is definitely bittersweet as we've been chasing them since he was 7.

C6D23856-8F52-4154-AD55-A12A18F91969.jpeg

6A5D1B06-67C8-41B8-B552-BC01AC674BD5.jpeg

TN Larry

I will also add that as I thought this bird was finally coming that I said a prayer to please let him come in and seal the deal. I normally don't pray for things like that but super blessed for the bird this morning. I would have been perfectly fine if he had quit gobbling and worked off after about the hundredth gobble but so glad I finally got him to come within range. Very blessed morning!

Latest posts