Lots of talk…

Roost 1

Lots of talk on here about research findings, regulation changes, etc. but who is actually trying to do something to help the turkeys.
I think we all should be doing as much as we can to help. I know everyone has limitations.
B8CCF2FD-3D64-4398-B700-F2608040EC27.jpeg

Attachments

• C73035A1-1B75-425B-AEBA-80276CA28671.jpeg
    C73035A1-1B75-425B-AEBA-80276CA28671.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 130
  • CDB132C8-6124-4884-8949-EB11D0093CBC.jpeg
    CDB132C8-6124-4884-8949-EB11D0093CBC.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 132
  • B5BF0B83-EBAA-48C0-B557-4189DDDF8BEA.jpeg
    B5BF0B83-EBAA-48C0-B557-4189DDDF8BEA.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 146

deerfever

Yes Sir! I thinned them out nice last year. I took out a few racoons this winter so far but not near as much action ,which I guess is a good thing. Probably best thing you can do that for sure helps our turkeys. That's a good haul!

megalomaniac

As you said, lots of talk, not much action. And the ones who need to thin the most (baiters who artificially inflate the nest predators by feeding them incidentally) are usually the least likely to trap.

Most turkey hunters are takers and leave the flock in worse condition than when they started never doing much to help.

I started running traps every time I come up to hunt or visit. Set them the first night up, but have to pull in 2 or 3 days when I head back. Sometimes I get one or zero, sometimes 5 or 6. Dunno if I'm making a difference being so inconsistent, but it makes me feel like I'm doing a little on that end. My biggest contribution is habitat management and self imposed harvest restrictions.

Hridge

Lots of talk on here about research findings, regulation changes, etc. but who is actually trying to do something to help the turkeys.
I think we all should be doing as much as we can to help. I know everyone has limitations.
View attachment 164362
I think what you are doing is gonna help. Lots of people were noticeably frustrated with the turkey population, including myself. I have been trapping coons, coyotes, bobcats, as well as improving turkey nesting habitat. I also hunt rabbits because that's what the yotes love. Been doing this for 4 years now and the population has definitely come back. Maybe what I'm doing is working or maybe mother nature is doing her thing?? I am fortunate to have been left a large tract of land. I definitely wouldn't be able to own it otherwise. I'm also in a lease on a huge piece of property beside we with 12 guys. We do these practices on the lease land as well, so we can really see the affects. I saw a group of probably 200 birds in a field a few weeks ago and several more in the woods. It seems to be helping. It's also a ton of fun for the kids. If I could say one thing that I think is most important, that is to stop mowing everything. They need nesting habitat.

Daff

Nice haul!

2022 finished out with 93 grinners, raccoons and skunks. About 30 armadillos

2023: 6 grinners and coons so far. 3 armadillos
If you don't mind sharing how you catching the armadillos? They bycatch? I have a problem with them at my house. Done some trapping for coons, coyotes etc. but nervous about using leg holds or coni's as it's residential. I've had more luck shooting them with a spot light or running them over wit the car whenever possible. I hate them! Back yard looks like wild hogs Have rooted it up.

JCDEERMAN

If you don't mind sharing how you catching the armadillos? They bycatch? I have a problem with them at my house. Done some trapping for coons, coyotes etc. but nervous about using leg holds or coni's as it's residential. I've had more luck shooting them with a spot light or running them over wit the car whenever possible. I hate them! Back yard looks like wild hogs Have rooted it up.
I should have clarified, sorry. All armadillos are shot on site. We require all our guys to carry everywhere they go specifically for them and to shoot them no matter the circumstances. Trust me, we know how destructive they are. I wish they'd go extinct. The only positive is they keep our shooting skills up to par.

Shanman

They're in your yard because of grub worms or another food source, get rid of the grub worms and they'll not come around. You can make a paste from grub worms for bait to use in a cage trap. Attach several 2×4's together and lay them down in a V shape, put the trap door at the tip of the V, will herd them right in.

knightrider

7 d
7 dust grub killer and the dillers and skunks will leave

Daff

Glad to see everyones efforts! So far this year I have 2 weasels, 6 possums, 3 coon, 1 yote and I stopped counting dillos around 18 after november.
If you don't mind sharing how you catching armadillos? Are they by catch? I've done some trapping for fur bearers but this residential so leg holds and coni's mak me nervous. Suggestions?

Latest posts