Lost one this morning

Wolverine72

Hate you lost it but it does happen and folks are quick to blame bullets, too many tv hunters proclaim a high shoulder shot is the best, I disagree and always try for heart and lungs and avoid heavy bone, yep tracking happens , shot a 3pt last Sunday with a powerbelt 295g , fell in its tracks. Never lost 1 with a PB but rarely shoot a smoker these days , I decided to go older school and it still works . you may never loose another but I quit any hunting with a arrow or bolt and no more lost deer or tracking .
Lot of folks dont like the powerbelt.. me, I've always had a lot of success with them. Until I have personal experience that's not good, I don't plan to switch. Vast majority I shoot with PB fall dead in their tracks. I will say in fairness, my shots are in the 30-75 yard range. I'm sure that helps. It's just the areas I hunt don't get many extended range shots. I use the PB 295 HP as well.
I'm sorry about the loss of the deer. That's never fun.

Snake

Hate it for you brother .It's not the bullet, quit shooting them in the dang shoulder ! About only deer I've lost has been shoulder shots and all mistakes except one and it was facing me on the ground only shot I had . If your going to shoot them in the shoulder then shoot them high in the shoulder hoping to break both shoulders. If the bullet hits the shoulder leg bone no telling were the bullet will travel .

Dennis

Hate it for you brother .It's not the bullet, quit shooting them in the dang shoulder ! About only deer I've lost has been shoulder shots and all mistakes except one and it was facing me on the ground only shot I had . If your going to shoot them in the shoulder then shoot them high in the shoulder hoping to break both shoulders. If the bullet hits the shoulder leg bone no telling were the bullet will travel .
Snake is spot on with this advice , that Barnes expander will act funny when it hits the thick part of the shoulder bone.

Latest posts