Looks like Georgia get it

timberjack86

At least some people do, legislation to allow taking coons and possums all year to help the turkeys in Georgia. If we could get something similar going in TN I think it would be a step in the right direction!

Displaced_Vol

Tuned into our KY commission meeting this morning and caught the end of a conversation on this topic.
One commissioner was very upset at the idea of forsaking the raccoons in order to try & help the turkeys…It wasn't a business item for them yet. I imagine it will be and if this particular commissioner sways the commission to his line of thinking KY will not make any progress on this front.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I think Arkansas actually gives landowners a couple of dog proof traps. I think it might be difficult to get people to trap them consistently. Maybe put a bounty on them, since fur prices are not an incentive.
I've averaged around 20 coons a year at my house for the last 3 years. I keep thinking the catch will decline, but it hasn't happened yet.

Displaced_Vol

To be clear I don't think that's gonna fix what ails us entirely but i do think it could help. Extend the trapping season through the nesting season, at least.
They could even sunset it after a few years then re-evaluate if there are that many folks tore up about diminishing the coon population

Carlos

There's a few raccoon hunters around here. I guess I could help them out by dropping them 100 bucks every now and then to help pay for their dog feed.
I usually drop the hammer on any raccoons I see, but I don't actively hunt them.

Latest posts