Looking for opinions on season date changes

chris1976

While there may be some validity in this, I completely disagree. Muzzleloader's have a popular reputation of not leaving good blood trails. I've killed dozens with a muzzleloader and fortunately only ever lost one. None of them left a good blood trail. That is with 4 different combinations of bullet/powder.
Barnes expanders. I have shot dozens of deer with them. I have still not recovered a bullet because they always pass through. Even on frontal shots going length wise through the body. They retain 99% or more of original weight and leave a blood trail a blind man could follow. Try them and you will never shoot anything else. If you have used them and still not convinced then you might want to give up the smokepole. They are devastating on deer.

Monk74

I can't hardly get a nice buck to stop long enough for me to get my crosshairs on it. How in the world do you expect me to check its vaccination card also!?! :D
Don't know, if they require them for hunting license I'll be an outlaw I guess.

JCDEERMAN

Barnes expanders. I have shot dozens of deer with them. I have still not recovered a bullet because they always pass through. Even on frontal shots going length wise through the body. They retain 99% or more of original weight and leave a blood trail a blind man could follow. Try them and you will never shoot anything else. If you have used them and still not convinced then you might want to give up the smokepole. They are devastating on deer.
I'll give them a try. I am going to do a lot of experimenting in the offseason. Changing to blackhorn 209 powder for sure and a different bullet.

Monk74

Me and my boys used to hunt bow season everyday we could but when they dropped the bucks from 3 to 2 me and my boys just lost interest in going during bow If you kill one with a bow makes for a long season and you get tired of going just to watch them walk by just to try to be able to stay hunting. My opinion is to leave the season dates alone take it back to 3 buck tags for the season with any weapon meaning if you wont to kill 3 with bow go for it 3 with muzzleloader great or save them all for gun that might get some folks back into archery. Also someone talked about wounded deer / lost deer during muzzleloader how about archery and the velvet hunt there's more lost or wounded then than muzzleloader In my opinion. And yes I tag out about every year but I put in my time to do it. Way I see it you got a bunch of city hunters that think you should be able to go out 1 time and kill a trophy and that is why it got dropped. Take catman he tags out about every year on public because he puts in the time. Its hunting
I totally agree with ya, but what's wrong with a little self control? Are we at a point where a guy needs three mature bucks to be happy with his season?3 buck limit just says to me" I'll kill this 110" 8 point because I can wait on 2 bigger ones " If ya want to keep hunting shoot doe's or pass on dink bucks. Again this was a post asking for opinions. I promise on my children's lives in not advocating to change the limits. Scouts honor.

taylor j

If 7-8 weeks is too much, then don't go. I hunt 90% of days open. I haven't pulled a trigger yet… just watched a 15-inch 8-pointer feed past 20 minutes ago. I lived in SC for 11 years and rifle season opened Aug. 15 and ran through New Years Day. No limit on bucks. Age structure was just fine. Pressure, October rut and change in food sources takes care of exposing deer in general to being shot.

Now, a biological factor like fawn depredation by bears or coyotes, is a reason to start limiting opportunity. Someone wanting to kill a "TV deer" isn't a biologically sound move.
I don't wish to kill a "tv deer" I do wish to kill a mature animal 4 years plus! I'm all about opportunity but 7-8 weeks of rifle is absurd. I'd be ok with another muzzleloader season to run into January. 2-3 weeks of rifle is plenty or possibly split the rifle. Deer don't get a break!

MickThompson

I totally agree with ya, but what's wrong with a little self control? Are we at a point where a guy needs three mature bucks to be happy with his season?3 buck limit just says to me" I'll kill this 110" 8 point because I can wait on 2 bigger ones " If ya want to keep hunting shoot doe's or pass on dink bucks. Again this was a post asking for opinions. I promise on my children's lives in not advocating to change the limits. Scouts honor.
What's wrong with a 110" 8? Many 4.5+ year old bucks will be right about there or even less across TN

Monk74

What if you are not a trophy hunter and have no interest in killing a big buck. What if you just like hunting and your area doesn't need anymore does removed? That leaves just buck hunting. And as long as taking 2 bucks is doing no harm to the local herd...
BSK you seem fairly educated so,and I respect your opinion, that goes back to the east TN fellows post about the way doe's are managed across the state. Can you elaborate on what part of the state has the perfect doe population,but can stand only for bucks being taken? Let's face it, if it's about equal opportunity for all hunters. The TWRA has already exquisitely demonstrated through the duck debacle that that only pissed 100% of the hunters off. If it's about meat shoot a small buck or doe's. If you're waiting on a big deer….wait. Or settle for a smaller buck. Hunters have always had good years and horrible years and always will. Jus my opinion. Life isn't fair and never will be. No matter how hard the democrats try.

Jcalder

While there may be some validity in this, I completely disagree. Muzzleloader's have a popular reputation of not leaving good blood trails. I've killed dozens with a muzzleloader and fortunately only ever lost one. None of them left a good blood trail. That is with 4 different combinations of bullet/powder.
If you ain't getting good blood trails your bullets aren't reliably expanding. The Barnes expanders mentioned above should be sufficient

Jcalder

I don't wish to kill a "tv deer" I do wish to kill a mature animal 4 years plus! I'm all about opportunity but 7-8 weeks of rifle is absurd. I'd be ok with another muzzleloader season to run into January. 2-3 weeks of rifle is plenty or possibly split the rifle. Deer don't get a break!
I'd guess 80% of the hunters quit the weekend after thanksgiving and never give it another thought. Most deer are not dodging bullets for 7-8 weeks. They get about 3-4 weeks of serious pressure and it slacks off considerably.

Monk74

What's wrong with a 110" 8? Many 4.5+ year old bucks will be right about there or even less across TN
Nothing is wrong if you want to burn a tag. Where do you hunt? Don't mean any harm, but if 4 1/2 year old bucks are 110" in your area buck limits are the least of your concerns.

Monk74

I'm pretty sure that venison is gluten-free
Gotta be one in every crowd😀I would've posted " looking for Yankee smarta$$ comments " if I wanted that. I was looking for southern gentlemen's opinions on the buck limit. Thanks anyway ole buddy.

Monk74

I'd guess 80% of the hunters quit the weekend after thanksgiving and never give it another thought. Most deer are not dodging bullets for 7-8 weeks. They get about 3-4 weeks of serious pressure and it slacks off considerably.
Probably/ maybe true. But by then the 1 1/2-2 1/2 bucks are thinned out considerably. Mature bucks head for a hole somewhere. It is what it is. Thanks for your respectful opinion. I'd mostly agree with ya.

Monk74

One other thing to bear in mind, our big game gun license does not include any does. Unless you buy a sportsman's license or the 094 special season antlerless permit or hunt under landowner exemption, you cannot shoot any does with a gun. It isn't a factor for everyone, but I'm sure there are some that this would negatively impact.
One other thing to bear in mind, our big game gun license does not include any does. Unless you buy a sportsman's license or the 094 special season antlerless permit or hunt under landowner exemption, you cannot shoot any does with a gun. It isn't a factor for everyone, but I'm sure there are some

Monk74

You're exactly right! I 100% agree with you.($$$$)You have to ask the appointed, not voted in wildlife commission about that. They do have a complicated task under a ton of scrutiny. However I have had luck with emails in changing a small game season recently. For the most part I believe them to be good men.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Prime example on season length: due to work and family responsibilities, I have only been able to hunt two hunts (two mornings) for myself this gun season. The other times afield have been taking my kids, other kids, etc. Even that is limited because of things called work, family, church, etc. Because of work, church, and weddings, I am in a 2 week no-hunting gap where I cannot go myself or take my kids or anyone else. When that clears, time will still be limited, and I will still have kids to take and will get to hunt very little for myself. A longer season allows me to take care of life, my kids, and work on hunter recruitment, and then hunt a little for myself.

I'm assuming that people asking for a shorter gun season are not taking other hunters that need direct guidance, and/or can take off whenever they want.

As I drove around SE TN the past few weeks, I have noticed more deer than ever are dead on the sides of the roads. Although somewhat anecdotal, this does not seem like a deer herd that is struggling to survive and needs the season shortened.

Monk74

I'm starting to understand the basis for your opinion. I've hunted more than three dozen states, and had a guide for many trips over the past three decades. I've guided/assisted in several states, too. Not as an outfitter, though. You've probably guided in states (out west, typically, but a lot of Midwest states, too) where game populations are low in comparison to potential pressure and demand, and hence limit hunters to one buck/bull/etc. When a hunter kills his target animal nearly every outfitter/guide I've known is ready for their "sport" to go home so the next customer can get in the game. I understand your frame of reference is a "one and done" experience. To say that "wanting two in a year is glutenous" lacks a broad perspective in both individuals' tastes and geography. If I want to eat prime rib for dinner every night, that would not be "glutenous," but if I ate the whole prime rib at one meal, well, that would qualify as the one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
That's a great analysis of my statements. However, Tennessee's game populations aren't low and I don't contend that. Can you say that more than one buck ( a buck someone is happy with) is necessary? Oh yea. I don't believe Colorado has low elk population 😀 I do appreciate the civil and engaging conversation though. I guess I'm older now and think differently. But if you read this. Think of every buck you've shot in TN in your life. Every one has a story no matter how small he was. What would the story have been like the next year or the year after? I believe as hunters we better evolve quick, or my grandchildren and yours won't be hunting when they're grown. Thanks again Jaybird