Looking for opinions on season date changes

Monk74

If you aren't hunting row crop- heavy areas, this your reality- much of east TN, the Cumberland Plateau, eastern and western Higland Rim, and so on.

I believe at one point @BSK or maybe someone else made the observation on here that TN bucks want to be (meaning they average) 105-110" 8 pointers when they grow up. Sure, there are outliers on the high side, but there are also outliers below average as well.
I agree with the outl
If you aren't hunting row crop- heavy areas, this your reality- much of east TN, the Cumberland Plateau, eastern and western Higland Rim, and so on.

I believe at one point @BSK or maybe someone else made the observation on here that TN bucks want to be (meaning they average) 105-110" 8 pointers when they grow up. Sure, there are outliers on the high side, but there are also outliers below average as well.
i also agree with the outliers part. On some properties I supplemental feed. January 10 ish into mid September. Costs a lot less than tractor, diesel, fertilizer,seed and praying for rain. Especially if you have land that God didn't intended for anything but beautiful hardwoods. Results can't be denied. BSK is, judging from his post a smart man. He's stated that he's against this because of CWD ( and Aflatoxin poisoning)concerns. But also states he uses salt/ mineral sites for camera buck inventory in August. Whats the difference? It's a fact of nature, better nutrition equals larger plants and animals. How can anyone ague that? Why are deer the exception? Feed'm and give them vitamins. 3 years from now you'll be a believer. And once again, just killing the hell outta deer to combat CWD, all your doing, well half those deer have natural immunity. Nature has a way of working these things out.

Ed Cude

Growing up in the late 80's and early 90's when you could legally take 15 or more bucks, I can't believe I'm asking this. How would you guys feel about shorter deer seasons? I feel like our 100+ day season is way too long. And a one buck limit would be nice. Make archery season basically the month of October. Muzzle loader is one week after juvenile. And rifle is from the first weekend in November until Sunday after thanksgiving. And I understand everyone who depends on deer meat. Let's keep the generous doe tags. Two to three years of that, I believe would drastically improve the age class of bucks in tn.
How about leaving the length of time alone but no bucks for the next 3yrs doe only and make it that a person has to harvest 4 doe's a yr to stop the CWD problem going on

TNDeerGuy

Growing up in the late 80's and early 90's when you could legally take 15 or more bucks, I can't believe I'm asking this. How would you guys feel about shorter deer seasons? I feel like our 100+ day season is way too long. And a one buck limit would be nice. Make archery season basically the month of October. Muzzle loader is one week after juvenile. And rifle is from the first weekend in November until Sunday after thanksgiving. And I understand everyone who depends on deer meat. Let's keep the generous doe tags. Two to three years of that, I believe would drastically improve the age class of bucks in tn.
How about a BIG OL' GENEROUS.....NOPE!!!!

You don't have to hunt if you think the season is too long.

Monk74

How about leaving the length of time alone but no bucks for the next 3yrs doe only and make it that a person has to harvest 4 doe's a yr to stop the CWD problem going on
Is CWD really a problem? How many overly harvested deer have a natural immunity? Zero scientific evidence the liberal bag limits have stopped CWD. THANKS FOR THE LIKE.

I hunt several states.It's interesting to me that most of the states with really good age structure and actually not just bucks but also DOES...DO NOT HAVE A RIFLE SEASON! EVER!

Take Illinois for example...NO RIFLE season at all. About ten days of gun season.That's it.

The bow season begins October 1 and ends in about mid January.

Having a (basically) 2 1/2 month rifle season makes it difficult for bucks to survive.

I love the season the way it is. And I bow hunt the entire season. This season I killed 14 deer so far.

12 in Tennessee.

All bow.

4 bucks were from Tennessee. (1 less than 3" horns on public and mature, 1 4 point on public (bonus), 2 very mature bucks on hard hunted private).

The others were on WMA's and public land scattered all over.

My point is I do not think there is a thing wrong with the limits just like they are. Most people just plain SUCK at killing mature deer!
And try to make it easier for themselves any way they can!

Kinda blunt...but my opinion!

MickThompson

I agree with the outl

i also agree with the outliers part. On some properties I supplemental feed. January 10 ish into mid September. Costs a lot less than tractor, diesel, fertilizer,seed and praying for rain. Especially if you have land that God didn't intended for anything but beautiful hardwoods. Results can't be denied. BSK is, judging from his post a smart man. He's stated that he's against this because of CWD ( and Aflatoxin poisoning)concerns. But also states he uses salt/ mineral sites for camera buck inventory in August. Whats the difference? It's a fact of nature, better nutrition equals larger plants and animals. How can anyone ague that? Why are deer the exception? Feed'm and give them vitamins. 3 years from now you'll be a believer. And once again, just killing the hell outta deer to combat CWD, all your doing, well half those deer have natural immunity. Nature has a way of working these things out.
Where did you come up with the idea that half of the deer are immune to CWD? Please cite your source, as that's some research I haven't yet seen and would definitely like to read.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The seasons Fine. Very few people have the option to hunt all season long every day. Most people just hunt weekends or take a week off to hunt when the can . Shorten it and a lot of people wouldn't have the opportunity to just get out and hunt.

Another point I'd like to make...you think it's bad now, wait until you cram all gun hunters into a short season. It sounds like the 4th of July on opening day in places where the gun season is really short.
And you can literally hear the slugs zipping through the trees.

Naw...I'd say everyone who wants to consistently kill mature bucks just need to pay more attention to details.

It might be hard to change the seasons in Tennessee, but it will be MUCH harder to change them back!

Latest posts