Looking for opinions on season date changes

TNMountain

I'd like to see the season start Mid October for archery, 1 week muzzleloader before thanksgiving , then 2 weeks rifle starting Saturday after thanksgiving, then back to archery until January 31!

catman529

No and no.

There are places that are managed for trophies, and that's a good thing.

But on a statewide level, herd health and hunter opportunity are the goals. Gotta have something for every type of hunter while keeping the deer herd as a whole in mind.

I heard land is cheap in Kentucky, you could always start house hunting up there. Then you'd have your one buck limit and shorter gun season that you want.

catman529

NO, we have it great in TN right now, best its been in modern history and actually still getting better. Why in the world give up so many great opportunities when nothing major is wrong to start with??
Exactly. I had to leave a heavy horned mature deer that was showing up in daylight on public land because I tagged out. I guess I'll be after him again next year. We've got something for everyone, plenty of season for people to fill their freezer or chase the big one, or both.

Gravey

A shorter season wouldn't hurt my feelings but as it is now if I don't want to hunt when it's open I don't. Other than the Presidents Island hunt in October I've hunted one day and that was opening day of muzzleloader. The longer season actually gives me more options to hunt if I can and want to. One buck limit wouldn't bother me either as some years I don't even kill one.

recurve60#

I see no problems with the buck age structure in the areas where I work (Western Middle TN). Maybe other areas have a buck age structure problem, but not in my region. I would hate to see even further restrictions that would produce no positive results (in my area).
And we keep paying more for less already. Leave it be.

megalomaniac

It's almost too late to benefit my kids, but I'd like for those under 16 to be able to use any weapon from juvie weekend until the end of the season.

I'm still pissed my young girls have missed the best hunting on land they partially own (around Nov 10th thru 20th) because they refuse to shoot a muzzleloader.

As a matter of fact, I'd like for everyone to be able to use weapon of choice from Nov 1st on.

As far as season lengths go, I don't see a problem except for some locals where bucks are already starting to shed Jan 1st. Always a gut punch when someone shoots the 'biggest doe they've ever seen', to only find out it was a buck that survived another season, shed his rack, then gets popped as a doe.

I would be in favor of extending deer season in west TN and far south middle TN where 1st rut is several weeks behind the rest of the state.

ImThere

1 buck per weapon, 3 weeks archery , 2 weeks of muzzleloader , and 1 week of gun on public land. People that fall under landowner exemption any weapon no limit from the start of September
And if you own land you cannot hunt public land period. This also goes to non residents.

What a terrible suggestion. Why would you want to limit public land opportunities?

ImThere

It's almost too late to benefit my kids, but I'd like for those under 16 to be able to use any weapon from juvie weekend until the end of the season.

I'm still pissed my young girls have missed the best hunting on land they partially own (around Nov 10th thru 20th) because they refuse to shoot a muzzleloader.

As a matter of fact, I'd like for everyone to be able to use weapon of choice from Nov 1st on.

As far as season lengths go, I don't see a problem except for some locals where bucks are already starting to shed Jan 1st. Always a gut punch when someone shoots the 'biggest doe they've ever seen', to only find out it was a buck that survived another season, shed his rack, then gets popped as a doe.

I would be in favor of extending deer season in west TN and far south middle TN where 1st rut is several weeks behind the rest of the state.
Not trying to start and argument just stating a fact: They mis it because they choose to. For no other reason.

SteveJ

I'm ok with the dates for the most part. I don't particularly like hunting late September because it's still hot. So if anything, maybe take the first 2 weeks of season and tag it to the end of the season. So have bow start the 2nd weekend of October and let gun continue to the 3rd week of January. But it's not a big deal the way it is.

I'd like the buck limit to stay at 2 but make the 2nd buck 4 or more points on one side.

As far as does go. I don't see why if we're allowed 4 with a bow, 2 with MZ and 2 with a rifle in Unit A, why can't they just say you're allowed 8 does and 2 bucks per season and the weapon doesn't matter. If you want to kill all with a bow, fine. If you want to kill all with a rifle, that would be ok too.

But really, I think it's OK the way it is

BSK

I have to admit, from a personal standpoint, I sure would like to be able to hunt the 1st week of November with some type of firearm. Some years (like this year), that would have been the best week of hunting.

JCDEERMAN

I have to admit, from a personal standpoint, I sure would like to be able to hunt the 1st week of November with some type of firearm. Some years (like this year), that would have been the best week of hunting.
I would LOVE to be able to use a rifle the first 2 weeks of November. No doubt in my mind the deer I shot on 11/13 would have dropped in his tracks. Instead, he was never found. Partially my fault being overly confident with my setup, but found out the performance from my muzzleloader wasn't nearly as good as I thought (never lost one prior with a muzzleloader, but also never shot one at that angle). I'm convinced he's dead and will continue to look after the season. Muzzleloaders are just poor performers compared to rifles. I think the buck limit is perfect.

Rabbitkil

And if you own land you cannot hunt public land period. This also goes to non residents.

What a terrible suggestion. Why would you want to limit public land opportunities?
Everyone else was giving bad ideas figured I would suggest the most off the wall thing I could think of, what if the month of December it was open to non residents only

Latest posts