Livescope guys

Is your transducer on your trolling motor or a separate pole?

• Total voters

JBell

Mines on the trolling motor. It's how I was introduced to it. I can see advantages both ways.

Spurhunter

I appreciate all the responses. The reason for my question is that I just put LS on my boat and I tried it out Saturday. In the wind I couldn't stay on the fish and control the boat. All the guys I fish with have theirs on the trolling motor. They say with practice I'll figure it out. They say you need your hands to fish, adjust forward range when getting close to the fish, etc. It just seems to me if I set my cruise control and my heading hold, I can ignore the trolling motor and scan until I see a big fish I want to fish for. At that point I can spotlock and fish all I want.

Crow Terminator

I appreciate all the responses. The reason for my question is that I just put LS on my boat and I tried it out Saturday. In the wind I couldn't stay on the fish and control the boat. All the guys I fish with have theirs on the trolling motor. They say with practice I'll figure it out. They say you need your hands to fish, adjust forward range when getting close to the fish, etc. It just seems to me if I set my cruise control and my heading hold, I can ignore the trolling motor and scan until I see a big fish I want to fish for. At that point I can spotlock and fish all I want.
That's why me and Livescope didn't jive. The wind and current moves my boat too easy and with the small beam of the transducer, it was a huge hassle to keep something as big as a brushpile in the beam. I bought a separate pole for mine but never mounted it on my boat so I have no idea if it would have worked better. I'm sure with Spotlock or an anchor, that it would have been somewhat better. That's why I like Mega 360 better. I always know where...in relation to the boat...that the brush and stumps are so I can cast to them.

Spurhunter

That's why me and Livescope didn't jive. The wind and current moves my boat too easy and with the small beam of the transducer, it was a huge hassle to keep something as big as a brushpile in the beam. I bought a separate pole for mine but never mounted it on my boat so I have no idea if it would have worked better. I'm sure with Spotlock or an anchor, that it would have been somewhat better. That's why I like Mega 360 better. I always know where...in relation to the boat...that the brush and stumps are so I can cast to them.
I know you have an aluminum boat too. The glass boat guys don't blow around in the wind as much as we do. I'm not real familiar with 360. The way the guys in MS crappie fish is they lock on a certain fish and fish for that fish, more so than structure. I will say that new Humminbird deal that has it's own motor and locks on targets no matter how the boat moves is awesome.

Levee Jumper

I was literally going to ask everyone here "in the know" what they would prefer in terms of mounting a Livescope transducer. After doing some research it seems like the average guy fishing brush is better with a pole mounted transducer w/ spot lock but the best of the best use it on the shaft of the trolling motor and cover some serious water.

I think a guy without spotlock probably makes sense to use it on the shaft of the trolling motor. Right?

Hduke86

I was literally going to ask everyone here "in the know" what they would prefer in terms of mounting a Livescope transducer. After doing some research it seems like the average guy fishing brush is better with a pole mounted transducer w/ spot lock but the best of the best use it on the shaft of the trolling motor and cover some serious water.

I think a guy without spotlock probably makes sense to use it on the shaft of the trolling motor. Right?
I know you didn't ask this question but I would get a trolling motor with spotlock before I got Livescope. To answer your question I would say "yes" with no spotlock then I'd mount it on the trolling motor so I could face into the wind and straight at what I was fishing to minimize correction. It's easier to inch forward while looking ahead and keep in the zone

Latest posts