Live from the stand 2023

Ski

Wind gets to blowing the least little bit and I bet you are swaying like a carnival ride.

Probably but I won't find out. Sat there when I shot the 10pt early this week and sat again tonight just to see if lightning would strike twice. It didn't but I did see my new wall hanger come out of bedding. I'm moving the stand tomorrow to intercept him if he does it again. Being it was north wind and will be north wind most of the weekend, I like my chances! 2020 was last time I tagged out before ML. Would be nice to do it again. Then I'll rut hunt other states!

74MOPAR

Probably but I won't find out. Sat there when I shot the 10pt early this week and sat again tonight just to see if lightning would strike twice. It didn't but I did see my new wall hanger come out of bedding. I'm moving the stand tomorrow to intercept him if he does it again. Being it was north wind and will be north wind most of the weekend, I like my chances! 2020 was last time I tagged out before ML. Would be nice to do it again. Then I'll rut hunt other states!
Got any pics of the new target? Were you hunting both of them and didn't mind which you got first?

Ski

Got any pics of the new target? Were you hunting both of them and didn't mind which you got first?

I don't have many pics of him and none are real good. I saw him in person once during velvet at 17yds but I passed because the 10 was 50yds behind him coming my way. I didn't get a shot at the 10 that day but I did get very clear look at this 8pt and was surprised how big he was in person compared to cam. I saw him and the 10pt fighting a couple days before I killed the 10, and he was noticeably larger in every way than the 10. I took a pic with my phone but zoomed all the way out it's just a blur. They were about 200yds away. The 10 is on the left and 8 on the right.

24sep23.JPG

20230929_182927.jpg

Ski

What stand/stick combo you running? I'm thinking about getting a set to pack around.

It's a Lone Wolf stand & sticks I bought in the classifieds. I've not used any other lightweight mobile hang-ons or sticks so I'm not experienced enough to compare these to anything else, but I can say I'm so happy I'm looking at buying another set whether it's this same brand/model or something comparable. It's basically as fast & easy as my climber except I can go up pretty much any tree, just not as high. Packs flatter and feels lighter too.

rem270

It's a Lone Wolf stand & sticks I bought in the classifieds. I've not used any other lightweight mobile hang-ons or sticks so I'm not experienced enough to compare these to anything else, but I can say I'm so happy I'm looking at buying another set whether it's this same brand/model or something comparable. It's basically as fast & easy as my climber except I can go up pretty much any tree, just not as high. Packs flatter and feels lighter too.
From what I read lonewolf is the best out there. Followed by xop. Midway USA has the hawk stand and sticks combo for $199 right now. I thought about ordering that. It's a tad over 20lbs combined weight. If I could find a good deal on a lonewolf or xop I'd go that route too.

Ski

From what I read lonewolf is the best out there. Followed by xop. Midway USA has the hawk stand and sticks combo for $199 right now. I thought about ordering that. It's a tad over 20lbs combined weight. If I could find a good deal on a lonewolf or xop I'd go that route too.

I was really considering the Hawk set when I bought the Lone Wolf. If the Lone Wolf hadn't popped up I would almost certainly have bought the Hawk. I was also looking at XOP and really wanted to try but couldn't justify the cost for something I wasn't sure I'd use. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have had no issue forking out the cash. I'm seriously considering getting an XOP next, but that Hawk set for $200 sounds like a bargain.

UCStandSitter

Those Hawk sticks are dangerous man. Bad to kick out. I tossed mine a few yrs ago. Be safe bro

BamBam77

I almost bought that hawk until I read a ton of terrible reviews on other forums. Sub par construction and bad design for mobile hunting. Unsafe overall. Buy once, cry once. Apparently midway's been running that deal since last year cause they can't get rid of them.

Had to replace my climber this year. I got an XOP Vanish Evolution and the 30in alternating sticks (on sale on their website plus free shipping and no tax).
I was on the fence about just getting another climber. XOP far exceeded my expectations, glad I went this route.
XOP was created by the founder of lone Wolf after he sold the company. Very similar design at a better price point.
My new kit is lighter, easier to maneuver, faster to set up, quieter, and allows more tree options.
I've only sat it 3 times now, but I'm sold. Including packing it 40+ minutes into public land twice. My hunting partner is looking at picking one up now.

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-06-14-11-16-610.jpg
    signal-2023-10-06-14-11-16-610.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 56

rem270

First sit in this stand this year. Need some kind of west wind for this spot and it's been mainly east winds since first of Sept. Acorns are raining down. Had to get some out of my seat before I sat down. Blew some out of here walking in. Had some under me before it was light enough to see.
20231007_065642.jpg

rem270

I almost bought that hawk until I read a ton of terrible reviews on other forums. Sub par construction and bad design for mobile hunting. Unsafe overall. Buy once, cry once. Apparently midway's been running that deal since last year cause they can't get rid of them.

Had to replace my climber this year. I got an XOP Vanish Evolution and the 30in alternating sticks (on sale on their website plus free shipping and no tax).
I was on the fence about just getting another climber. XOP far exceeded my expectations, glad I went this route.
XOP was created by the founder of lone Wolf after he sold the company. Very similar design at a better price point.
My new kit is lighter, easier to maneuver, faster to set up, quieter, and allows more tree options.
I've only sat it 3 times now, but I'm sold. Including packing it 40+ minutes into public land twice. My hunting partner is looking at picking one up now.
I've got a set of the 3 step sticks in my cart now and trying to decide between the Vanish or the Air Raid. I looked at XOP last year and really liked them. This will probably be the route I go.

HoytDawg

FWIW, I've had the hawk 2 steps since they came out and they've been great for me. Haven't had a single kick out….. Knock on wood. I like them better than the lone wolf sticks i had before them.

Latest posts