Food Plots Let’s Talk Buckwheat

BSK

First time buckwheat planter - or will be! Asking best time to plant and best mix? Going to let it jump up & then plant soybean mix into it for summer crop. Using it for a cover crop/ soul builder. Any advice would be great.
I planted my buckwheat and soybeans at the same time last year - first week of May.

1boardrider

I planted my buckwheat and soybeans at the same time last year - first week of May.
Did the buckwheat shade out the beans? Following a fella that says that he grows his buckwheat and lets it get mature then he broadcast his beans and brassicas into the buckwheat then cultipacks it down to provide weed shade and duff for fertilizer and better soil eventually.

BSK

Did the buckwheat shade out the beans? Following a fella that says that he grows his buckwheat and lets it get mature then he broadcast his beans and brassicas into the buckwheat then cultipacks it down to provide weed shade and duff for fertilizer and better soil eventually.
They did not, but I only planted at 20 lbs/acre. I was only using it is a "cover crop" to give the deer something to browse until the soybeans got established.

JCDEERMAN

My local COOP has it 77.00 per 50lb bag (As of 03/11).
Oh No Reaction GIF by Bounce

Quailman

winter wheat is still 16 a bag. that's what I paid last year.
$16/bag is extremely high for winter wheat. Most years it's $9-$10/bag. The war in Ukraine is making matters worse, and from what I've been told, winter wheat has increased about $4/bushel in the last few weeks. FYI, Ukraine is a big exporter of wheat.

Quailman

First time buckwheat planter - or will be! Asking best time to plant and best mix? Going to let it jump up & then plant soybean mix into it for summer crop. Using it for a cover crop/ soul builder. Any advice would be great.
Buckwheat is a warm season crop with a short maturity date (45 days), so any time during the summer is fine. The recommended planting date is July 1 - August 15th, but as BSK mentioned, you can plant it earlier with typical summer forages. If you plant it earlier, you can actually get a double crop in one growing season.

BSK

Buckwheat is a warm season crop with a short maturity date (45 days), so any time during the summer is fine. The recommended planting date is July 1 - August 15th, but as BSK mentioned, you can plant it earlier with typical summer forages. If you plant it earlier, you can actually get a double crop in one growing season.
What Quailman said is absolutely right. Buckwheat is a short-lived plant. I usually find it lasts 8-10 weeks before seeding out and dying back. However, you will see some natural reseeding. But as I've used it in the past (either as a fall cover crop where the first frost will kill it anyways, or as a spring cover crop to give time for the "real" summer crop to get up high enough to withstand browse pressure), it works great.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
$16/bag is extremely high for winter wheat. Most years it's $9-$10/bag. The war in Ukraine is making matters worse, and from what I've been told, winter wheat has increased about $4/bushel in the last few weeks. FYI, Ukraine is a big exporter of wheat.
you would think price between COOP would be the same across the state.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
You would think that, but I often find VERY different prices from Co-op to Co-op.
i could see maybe the cost of shipping a pallet from middle to east or west TN would had a little, but like you, i've seen the 2 coop in the counties beside each other vary a $2-5 a bag.

megalomaniac

Im scared to death what wheat is going to cost this fall...