Food Plots Let’s Talk Buckwheat

CBU93

There was a lot of talk about buckwheat in here last year. Let's do it again…

Advantages? Disadvantages? Time o year to plant? Ground prep? Peripheral species benefit besides deer

DoubleRidge

Last year was the first year we planted buckwheat....and while our focus was on soil building...the dove and turkeys loved the plots we planted....and we noticed when the buckwheat was young and tender the deer would eat it as well. We used no till spray, throw-n-mow method....sprayed plots in late May.... broadcast buckwheat early to mid June just before a good rain....germinated great....was very impressed with the buckwheats ability to smother other weeds out...plots were clean....we let ours go to maturity and seed....then late August we broadcast our fall blend directly into what buckwheat was still standing and mowed plot...just before a good rain....fall blend contained wheat, turnip, radish, rape (co-op blend)...fall blend did good in lower moist areas...higher, dryer ground it did ok..but not great...but for the summer crop the buckwheat germinated and grew well everywhere we planted.....the amount of organic material produced for soil building plus the suppression of weeds was impressive...we will be planting buckwheat again in some of our newer plots this year.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
057B04E7-AA77-4A59-A01A-FB3ACE669F48.jpeg

BSK

I've been planting buckwheat in my fall plots for years. The first frost will kill it, but I'm using it as a "cover crop" to protect the plants I really want in my fall/winter mix. Deer go crazy over the buckwheat in September and October.

But here's the weird thing, I planted it in a bunch of new plots last May 1, as a soil builder. It grew. But deer hardly touched it. No idea why. But until I figure that out, I may not plant it again as a summer crop.

BSK

And be forewarned, a little buckwheat goes a long way. Below are pictures of some of my fall plots planted in a mixture, with only 20 lbs of buckwheat per acre. Yet the recommended seeding rate for Buckwheat (planted alone) is 60 lbs per acre. I can't imagine how thick it would be at 60 lbs per acre!

Attachments

• plots11.jpg
    plots11.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 165
  • plots12.jpg
    plots12.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 159

DoubleRidge

And be forewarned, a little buckwheat goes a long way. Below are pictures of some of my fall plots planted in a mixture, with only 20 lbs of buckwheat per acre. Yet the recommended seeding rate for Buckwheat (planted alone) is 60 lbs per acre. I can't imagine how thick it would be at 60 lbs per acre!

40 to 50lb per acre is what we did....but.... broadcast with spray throw and mow....as a soil builder and weed suppressor I was very pleased....but after it got about half way to maturity the deer didn't eat it much....which is what we wanted....we tried soybeans and peas year before and they mowed the plots down to the dirt....and two plots in particular are new and our focus needs to be on soil retention and soil building....also buckwheat will grow without a great investment in fertilizer....which I'm afraid cost will factor in this spring and summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_151427490~3.jpg
    IMG_20210717_151427490~3.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210717_150518163~2.jpg
    IMG_20210717_150518163~2.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

And don't you recommend 20-30 lbs/acre for a cover crop in late spring solely buckwheat?

JCDEERMAN

The literature I have says 60lbs/acre drilled as a single crop. If you are planting two species, cut the Buckwheat by 1/3 (so 40 lbs/acre). If you are planting 3 or more species, cut the Buckwheat by half, so 30 lbs/acre.
Have you ever planted it in a mixture with a shorter variety of sorghum? I was thinking about doing that on the side hills off the ridge tops of our new plots. Then broadcasting a fall crop in them come fall. The ridge tops will be planted in something else. Just trying to build soil off the sides.

DoubleRidge

Have you ever planted it in a mixture with a shorter variety of sorghum? I was thinking about doing that on the side hills off the ridge tops of our new plots. Then broadcasting a fall crop in them come fall. The ridge tops will be planted in something else. Just trying to build soil off the sides.

Following this conversation because we have thought about something similar this summer.... considering a blend of buckwheat, cow peas, sorghum and sunflower....or something along those lines.

BSK

Nope. Interesting idea though. Buckwheat germinates and grows VERY quickly. It is usually the first plant up to browsable height.

rtaylor

Last year was my first with buckwheat. I did spray, throw and mow and it came up great. I tried one field where I just did throw and mow and the weeds smothered the buckwheat and it didn't work. On one field I did spray, throw and mow buckwheat with sunflowers and both did really well. Surprisingly the deer really liked it. On one of my fall plots I had clover, wheat, oats and buckwheat and the deer were eating the buckwheat including the flowers. The turkeys hammered them every time they came to seed. I'll be doing them again this year.

deerfever

I plant it every spring , it's good stuff ! Deer , Turkey and Dove benefit at different stages. Super easy to grow and helps your soil. I mixed it in my fall plots also this year. I believe it would grow about anywhere it's always the first stuff up it seems. I put it in am area that was newly cleared and it came up great this spring . I usually plant the end of April / first week of May.

CBU93

I plant it every spring , it's good stuff ! Deer , Turkey and Dove benefit at different stages. Super easy to grow and helps your soil. I mixed it in my fall plots also this year. I believe it would grow about anywhere it's always the first stuff up it seems. I put it in am area that was newly cleared and it came up great this spring . I usually plant the end of April / first week of May.
Curious as to benefit an timing to doves…can you expound on that aspect? Is it huntable come early dove season with manipulation?

deerfever

Curious as to benefit an timing to doves…can you expound on that aspect? Is it huntable come early dove season with manipulation?
I am saying when you mow it after is seeds out various birds will be all in the stuff doves for sure. TWRA sometimes uses it for dove fields if I remember correctly. I would guess as long as it's part of normal agricultural practices it would be good but you would have to read up on it. Lots of people plant it in their fall plots so I don't see it as any different than wheat seed that is used for fall plots that people dove shoot. It's Good stuff!

1boardrider

First time buckwheat planter - or will be! Asking best time to plant and best mix? Going to let it jump up & then plant soybean mix into it for summer crop. Using it for a cover crop/ soul builder. Any advice would be great.

Latest posts