Food Plots Talking about blends

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
9B03384F-27CC-45ED-87D7-E3A8C35BC751.jpeg

You see I had a few bags of Green cover seeds Fall Release left over from last year AANND I had a few bags of Green cover seeds Browse Pressure / Dry Soil Release (a summer blend) and I had 4 acres of border that needed something on it so I dumped both into the drill, set the rate at 95 lb per acre to consume the aging seed and here it is!
A soil building, food plot, cover crop, cover provision all season erosion control, all game diner.
Really doing well right along side the river. The sun hemp is about thigh high and a lot of it has been topped. I'm amazed the buckwheat is in full bloom and not eaten up. The young rye, wheat and oats are taking a hit but they don't seem to have found the brassicas. If we have a late frost the milo will get to head out, maybe the peas will make a few pods. I guess the annual clovers are waiting for cooler weather.
They have not touched the sunflowers but have nipped all the beans.

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Dr. Woods has a lot of influence on my main management property and when he moved to GCS they went as well. I always order seed so I get a few extra bags as I never know what changes are coming. My personal preference is Eagle Seed products (as reflected in my main plantings this year) and blends 1st, my own blends 2nd and maybe GCS 3rd.
Tennessee Farmers Coop has alway been my favorite source and best cost.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
That will do it!

I'm trying to figure out the balance between chemical burndown cost, seed cost, fertilizer cost, diesel cost, and time cost to get the most bang for my $$$.

I still haven't figured it out yet 😀
Good luck with that!
So many variables and they never stop moving.

This was new ground so I had to burn it down but in the future I will plant successive crops right in the previous crop. Always building matter, always building a mat of weed resistance and always adding to soil values. Eventually if all goes as planned spraying will be limited to problem areas and fertilizer will be reduced or all but eliminated. This ground along the Cumberland is very sandy and leaches bad so it needs a lot of matter to help hold nutrients.

Latest posts