Food Plots Mixing Seed Blends?

deerhunter10

We have become very simple. Oats and wheat sometimes add winter peas. Of course we have our clover fields but always cover crop them with oats and wheat. We drill so oats in one box wheat in another. If we add peas it goes in the oats box. We frost seed our clover fields as needed. Our farms have corn and beans as well. We have used many different brands and seeds and have the best luck with this. We like turnips ok but they in our opinion aren't worth the work. And we plant late compared to most. First of October. and if needed will even drill late October or early November when our farmer gets his crops off if needed. We have personally found for us simple usually turns out way better and we have killed several big deer doing this. Also like it because there is food there late after season and it helps the turkeys tremendously.

BSK

Wow, when it comes to physically mixing your seed, you all get serious! Because all my plots are small (none larger than 1.5 acres), I mix the seeds on site in the ATV/UTV spreader (using my arm dug down into the seed). Never seen any indication small seeds are migrating to the bottom and coming out first. But then it takes only about 5 or 6 passes to seed a small plot.

As for poundage per acre in mixes, I use the old mixing rate "rule" I was taught years ago. Take the recommended seeding rate for a single species planting and cut it by 1/3 if mixing two species. If three or more species, cut each seed's rate by 1/2.

DoubleRidge

We did 8 small plots Saturday that ranged from 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre and having our various barasica seeds already blended, weighed and bagged was nice....on these small plots and having small seed we used hand seeders....two of us....set the gate on seeder low on #2 and went over each plot twice.... crisscross pattern for good coverage.....didn't have to calculate or mix anything....dump and go......so that all went great....and just as we wrapped up we got a ground soaking rain Saturday...then a light rain Sunday then last night another good soaker......now for the downside.....we are doing spray and sow.....all of these plots we're bush hogged in early July so grass and weeds were foot or so tall....and we hit them with glysophate that morning then got the hard rain mid day....this has happened to us before and we still got a kill....but it was just a much slower kill.....and even if it just stunts the grass to allow the barasicas to get up to sunlight maybe it will work out.....we'll see.....the seed certainly has enough moisture to germinate!...so that's good....next 10 to 14 days will be interesting.

JCDEERMAN

We did 8 small plots Saturday that ranged from 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre and having our various barasica seeds already blended, weighed and bagged was nice....on these small plots and having small seed we used hand seeders....two of us....set the gate on seeder low on #2 and went over each plot twice.... crisscross pattern for good coverage.....didn't have to calculate or mix anything....dump and go......so that all went great....and just as we wrapped up we got a ground soaking rain Saturday...then a light rain Sunday then last night another good soaker......now for the downside.....we are doing spray and sow.....all of these plots we're bush hogged in early July so grass and weeds were foot or so tall....and we hit them with glysophate that morning then got the hard rain mid day....this has happened to us before and we still got a kill....but it was just a much slower kill.....and even if it just stunts the grass to allow the barasicas to get up to sunlight maybe it will work out.....we'll see.....the seed certainly has enough moisture to germinate!...so that's good....next 10 to 14 days will be interesting.
Good deal! I'll update with pics in 2 weeks when I get back there of our small hidey-holes we just planted.

Latest posts