Food Plots Another question about s-t-m

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
So I sprayed one plot on Friday, and I was planning on broadcasting seed tomorrow before the rain. My question is when to mow? The sprayed weeds won't be all the way dead yet, and probably won't be for a few more days, but if I wait till later in the week to mow then my seeds may be germinating wouldn't they? I didn't want to drive all over newly germinated seeds.

44 mag

I am far from an expert but I think you should now tomorrow after you throw the seed. The clipping will cover the seed and be compacted by the rain. Agin I could be completely wrong.

DoubleRidge

If the weeds are not too tall many times they will lay over on their own... especially in a heavy rain ...but I've been in the same situation recently where work prevented me from mowing for one week after we had sprayed and sowed....I went ahead and mowed it....knowing some of the seed had likely started to germinate.... should be fine.

JCDEERMAN

How tall are the weeds? If fairly short, a lot of times having a slight buffer to allow your seeds to germinate and jumpstart before being nipped off at ground level is advantageous. If they aren't too tall, I don't see the need in mowing. If they are waist high, I'd want to mow, but I don't think you necessarily have to. If you were adamant about mowing and knocking it down, you typically don't have to worry about driving over the new stuff coming up - it should do fine. As DR stated, most of it will lay over dead after a little time.