Legal question

CATCHDAWG

If one was to fashion a apparatus on the end of a barrel that was made like a suppressor but it didn't suppress but did bring the muzzle blast down to a manageable level, is it still considered a suppressor/silencer or is it simply a quieter muzzle brake?

DaveB

Pretty sure you want to avoid anything on the end of your barrel that reduces noise by so much as a decibel. Federal violation I think.

CATCHDAWG

DaveB":2bmv1xwe said:
Pretty sure you want to avoid anything on the end of your barrel that reduces noise by so much as a decibel. Federal violation I think.
I can reduce it quiet a bit just by changing flash suppessors wich I know is legal. That's why I'm confused, what is the difference?

TraumaSlave

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

The term "Firearm Silencer" or "Firearm Muffler" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Clear as mud. Gotta love the ATF.

LanceS4803

The only sure way to get the correct answer is to send a sample of what you built to the Firearms Technology Branch of BATFE. They will give you a written answer.
Do NOT take the advice of any local BATFE agent, as it is not valid.
Several very large manufacturers have run afoul while building flash suppressors that appeared totally legit.

CATCHDAWG

I ended up turning a piece the same size and diameter as the flash suppressor except it's not ported. Basically just a straight sleeve but still has the flash suppressor "look". Muzzle blast is MUCH better!

CATCHDAWG

tug":msgbqc22 said:
Google Noveske Flaming Pig. You are late to the party.
Looked into a litte bit. From I can see it's for a short pistol type ar mine is 16". It's also expensive for what it is! What experience do you have with one of the pigs and what are the specs on what it is on?