Late Season Bucks

Scioto

Quailman said:
OHVATN said:
Quailman said:
BSK said:
Quailman said:
5 of the last 6 bucks I've killed in TN (all mature) were killed in December. Based on the area of the state I hunt, it is a great time for having an opportunity at a mature buck.

That's fascinating information.

BSK, that's why I never get discouraged when November slips by and I haven't taken a buck yet. If my memory serves me correctly, the last 5 dates were December 1,5,8,11, and 25th (the first Christmas day I hunted in probably 15 years). If I could choose one weekend out of the entire season to hunt, it would be the first weekend in December. Now remember, I hunt in Grundy and Franklin counties, which are at a more southern latitude than where you primarily hunt, so this could be a factor as to why I tend to see a noticeable "peak" of the rut during late November/early December.

I also firmly believe that the first few days in December are so good in my area because the last few does are coming into estrus and mature bucks are having to move a great deal more to find them. Also, based on the fetal aging conducted by TWRA a few years ago, a large percentage of does in my part of the state were being bred in December and early January. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine owns a large property in the mountainous region of Franklin County where some of this sampling took place. Many of the does were being bred the first week of January! Pretty amazing to see such a variance statewide.

I'm aware of the TWRA fetal aging study. If it's the one I think it is, I believe it was from 2011 and sampled Wayne, Larence, Giles, Lincoln, Franklin and Marion counties.

Were any similar studies done in other years for other TN counties, specifically middle TN and more specifically Hickman, Humphreys, Williamson and so on?

I've never seen any published studies that were conducted in other TN counties. The only one I know of is the one that took place in the 6 counties you mentioned. I have that information and will post it here when I have more time next week. There were a total of 60 does sampled (55 pregnant), with a mean conception date of December 9th.

The study can be found on the TWRA website, "For Hunters" page under the Big Game Report for 2011-2012 (I think it's those years). It's around page 23 or something that has the fetal age study for those 6 southern middle TN counties.

FWIW, I think TWRA is among the best of the state game and fish agencies in the country.

TN Whitetail Freak

photobucket-2226-1320675572308.jpg

Shot this deer the very last day of deer season in the AM coming back to bed

Djustice

Yes and no. In areas where we hunt from bow season on the mature buck sightings drop of considerably after the rut. Areas that have been lightly hunted sometimes produce mature deer after the rut. Even though you are not spooking deer directly, I think your scent lingers for longer than most people realize and once a mature buck smells you, he either avoids the area or goes nocturnal unless a hot doe draws him out. Or maybe I'm crazy, who knows. BSK, how much do you think pressure plays a role in yall not seeing mature deer?

Mike Belt

I kill a 9 pointe 5.5+ years old with 3 days left in the season. I've seen several 3.5-4.5 year old bucks taken the last week of Dec. Each case involved does and all were AM kills. Last year 2 days before season closed after I climbed down from my stand I walked up a bedded doe that had 11 bucks bedded with her.

Boone 58

Killed a really nice 9 on the 26th or 27th.....alone, checking behind does I had pass thru earlier.....littliest body on a buck for such a good rack......17.5 spread!

I did not have his teeth checked but this deer was so small I believed him to be a 2.5 year old......or he was the smallest 3.5 I have ever seen....appeared healthy, just really small for that rack......did not appear to be worn down and hocks not very dark.

BSK

Quailman said:
Also, based on the fetal aging conducted by TWRA a few years ago, a large percentage of does in my part of the state were being bred in December and early January. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine owns a large property in the mountainous region of Franklin County where some of this sampling took place. Many of the does were being bred the first week of January!

Having that type of hard data is INVALUABLE.

BSK

Djustice said:
BSK, how much do you think pressure plays a role in yall not seeing mature deer?

I'm sure it's a significant factor. Our rut is very early (peaks around the 2nd and 3rd week of November), hence is winding down in early December, but we also normally place about 300 hours of treestand hunting pressure on the place in November alone. The combination of the rut winding down by December, in combination with all the November hunting pressure, drives older bucks very nocturnal post-November. Other than the tail-end of the rut the first week of December, we NEVER get a daylight picture of a mature buck before the end of the season in early January. And I do mean NEVER, as in not once in 14 years of running cameras all season have we gotten daylight picture of a mature buck after the 1st week of December through the end of the season.

Quailman

Wes Parrish said:
Quailman said:
Here is the data I was referring to in my earlier post.
Do you believe small sample size my have contributed to the huge variances (particularly noted in Marion County)?

Wes, I would say this is probably the case. However, with a mean conception date of December 9th within the study area, there's very little doubt that the peak of the rut falls later in the season than in other portions of the state.

BSK

Quailman said:
However, with a mean conception date of December 9th within the study area, there's very little doubt that the peak of the rut falls later in the season than in other portions of the state.

And that the transition from November dates to January dates occurs very rapidly from north to south--basically, across the geographic distance of about just one county.

woodsman87

Maybe it has been done, but I would like to see a large sample size would be done for Giles and Lincoln, so I could put all doubt aside and be more confident while I hunt. I do enjoy though in my hunting areas that you really never know what will come by chasing a doe.

Latest posts