Late Season Bucks

Lowgap

Anyone out there ever managed to take a decent buck in late season? Talking about after December 15th or later. If so, did you take that buck during the morning or afternoon? Was the buck still in rut or wore down in your estimation after the kill?

redblood

Lowgap said:
Anyone out there ever managed to take a decent buck in late season? Talking about after December 15th or later. If so, did you take that buck during the morning or afternoon? Was the buck still in rut or wore down in your estimation after the kill?

hard thing to do, and nver done by me. but we hit the coyotes trail in late december

hcdeerman

Killed an old 7 point last year on December 30. He came out in the bean fields right before dark and started eating like there was no tomorrow! His neck was still swollen, but paid no mind to the does in the field with him. He was strictly on a food mission, but have personally seen bucks chasing does 3 or 4 different times after Christmas. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of yearling does who might have their first heat cycle late in the season, but I am far from an expert.

Jmed

Always a few brutes go down in the southern part of tn late. Especially in the mountains of marion, franklin, lincoln

CAW

I have farms in Lincoln and Marshall Counties and we always have a strong late season. As a matter of fact, some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen were in the last two weeks. Not sure if it is a secondary rut of some sort or what, because our primary rut (with all the chasing and so forth) is usually the last week of November through the first week of December.

Quailman

5 of the last 6 bucks I've killed in TN (all mature) were killed in December. Based on the area of the state I hunt, it is a great time for having an opportunity at a mature buck.

Columbia Scott

This is the best late season deer I've ever seen or shot. I got him Christmas Eve 2011. When I took him to the taxidermist he knew right away how late he was shot by feeling his neck. I shot him at 8:30am. He was certainly worn from rutting but turned out nicely. He's 110" 8 point.

Winchester

A few with most of them being afternoons if memory serves. Food sources in HEAVY cover has been the key for me!

landman

Yes
Afternoons over food source
This year is lining up to be one of those years
Low on none acorn crop in our area
Colder Temps getting more food hammered earlier
Late season soybeans in many river bottoms
didn't make much or get planted too wet
Crazy rut could have second phase when?
Late Dec.

hunterncoach

IF we have continued below avg cold temps you may be able to find a good one on a feed pattern, but the pressure has to be near non-existent for a period of time...

woodsman87

It depends on where you are in the state IMO. In my experience for the southern part of the state December is the best time, especially the first two weeks. You see all these threads about its November finally, well, myself and my friends in the southern part get all worked up about December. I am being honest, you just never know what will can be killed in late season. I myself have never killed an older buck after December 26th, but you just never know.
I get so confused about why some people just "give up" after it gets so late.
I was once like that as a boy and teen when I got to go every monring and afternoon, but now that I have a life, I go every oppurtunity from the first to last day. You just never know.

stringtalker

Ive killed more big bucks in the late season than early. There is less hunting pressure and the deer are trying to get fatn back up, i would rather hunt late season than any other, just my preference

Engine2c

Missed one a couple years ago near the end of December. He was just cruising down a trail along the river bank on a very cold afternoon with 15 mph north wind. It was about an hour before dark too. That's the latest I've ever seen a big deer like that. I was shocked to even see him considering I had killed a doe out of the same stand the afternoon before.

Latest posts