Largest rub I've ever seen!!

BSK

I've never had any luck hunting rubs. They are used infrequently, and even signpost rubs are almost exclusively used at night.

TN Whitetail Freak

I found a rub on a cedar twice the size of yours....and on the ground where the deer would have planted his feet to gore the cedar it was fresh dirt plowed everywhere ....never did see that buck on cam or hunting

MDBriggs

creativomjh said:
what part of the woods did you find that rub? on a field edge? off a trail? etc...
I found it about 30 yards off of a soybean field surrounded by much smaller rubs... the woods was tore up with them

BSK

MDBriggs said:
creativomjh said:
what part of the woods did you find that rub? on a field edge? off a trail? etc...
I found it about 30 yards off of a soybean field surrounded by much smaller rubs... the woods was tore up with them

Sounds like a classic staging area, where deer mill around waiting for darkness before entering an open field food source.

bowriter

R.I.P.
This rub is marginally famous. It is on the famed North island of Willow Point and is a classic traditional rub. It is by far the largest I have ever seen. Cameras were on it for a fewyears and there was never a picture of a deer that was over 2.5 or had a rack that would break 100.

TARA3.jpg

This rub was about 150-yards away and tipped me off to my largest Willow Point buck. I spect he was just over 135. I missed him about 75-yuards from this rub.

TRADITIONALRUB2.jpg

recurve60#

BSK said:
Tony(D) said:
A rub like that could also be from several deer and some may be as small as 4 points. I've seen small racked deer work the heck out of trees like that. I realized then that as long as the buck can get his rack around the tree then he will wear it out.

Just remember that only older bucks start a signpost rub like that. However, once initiated, every buck in the area--even young bucks--will investigate and rework it.

I would not call that a signpost. Looks to be the first time that tree was rubbed. Signpost trees will have years of rubbing evidence.

Amen to age and not antler size.

double browtine

Several years ago I climbed in the stand one morning before daylight. It got light and I spotted a cedar the size of my leg that was wore out. I was super excited. I hunted that stand for 3 days straight. Only saw does. Finally told my brother in law about it several days later as he hunts the property also. He laughed so hard. He said he was in the stand when a 1.5 yr old 5 pt made it. He said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it being rubbed. Anyhow i hope it is a bruiser and you give him a dirt nap!

BowGuy84

bowriter said:
This rub is marginally famous. It is on the famed North island of Willow Point and is a classic traditional rub. It is by far the largest I have ever seen. Cameras were on it for a fewyears and there was never a picture of a deer that was over 2.5 or had a rack that would break 100.

TARA3.jpg

This rub was about 150-yards away and tipped me off to my largest Willow Point buck. I spect he was just over 135. I missed him about 75-yuards from this rub

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/bowriter/TRADITIONALRUB2.jpg[/

IMG] [/quote]

Cool info bw!

bowriter

R.I.P.
recurve60# said:
BSK said:
Tony(D) said:
A rub like that could also be from several deer and some may be as small as 4 points. I've seen small racked deer work the heck out of trees like that. I realized then that as long as the buck can get his rack around the tree then he will wear it out.

Just remember that only older bucks start a signpost rub like that. However, once initiated, every buck in the area--even young bucks--will investigate and rework it.

I would not call that a signpost. Looks to be the first time that tree was rubbed. Signpost trees will have years of rubbing evidence.

Amen to age and not antler size.

If signpost rubs have years of rubbing, how do they get started? Wouldn't some buck have to rub one the first time? A traditional rub shows years of rubbing because they are rubbed year after year. I have seen a lot of signpost rubs that are on trees for the very first time. I have also seen them started by 2.5 y-o bucks.

The picture I posted first, is a traditional rub. The second picture is a signpost rub. It told me where that buck was stopping to scent check a foodplot for hot does. I found the one he made just before that one and had a shot at a nice, 135-ish buck.

And missed.

BSK

recurve60# said:
BSK said:
Tony(D) said:

Good catch and correction recurve#60. A signpost is not a signpost until it is a rubbed a second year. My mistake for calling it that. My point was, large-diameter rubs like that are initiated by older bucks, but once initiated, all age bucks will interact with them and rework them.

BSK

double browtine said:
Several years ago I climbed in the stand one morning before daylight. It got light and I spotted a cedar the size of my leg that was wore out. I was super excited. I hunted that stand for 3 days straight. Only saw does. Finally told my brother in law about it several days later as he hunts the property also. He laughed so hard. He said he was in the stand when a 1.5 yr old 5 pt made it. He said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it being rubbed. Anyhow i hope it is a bruiser and you give him a dirt nap!

I seriously, seriously doubt a yearling buck initiated a rub on a tree the size of your leg. I hear these stories all the time, and I don't buy them. Often these trees already have very light rubbing on them that hunters don't notice, only to have the next buck along, a young buck, work them while a person is watching, which produces the assumption the young buck made the rub "from scratch." This would fly in the face of overthing known about buck rubbing behavior and buck signposting behavior.

Latest posts