World’s largest typical whitetail

fairchaser

Because each buck that's scored doesn't just have one person scoring. Usually a panel. 3 people were there the day it was scored.
I agree. Entries that are potential records are panel scored. So, how is it that it was "never entered". Seems like it would have been entered to get that far in the process.

Ski

I agree. Entries that are potential records are panel scored. So, how is it that it was "never entered". Seems like it would have been entered to get that far in the process.

The link Hardwoodmaterials posted explains exactly that. It was predetermined that the guy giving the interview be present to oversee the scoring panel, but when the panel convened he was not informed. It was done in secret without proper, pre-decided supervision. Like everything else in the saga, it's illogical and stinks of impropriety.

Snake

I have no idea if it's fake or not, but the guys that actually scored the deer say it's legit. If anyone would know it would be them, having examined the horns much closer than a picture.
It was a real score but to enter as a true world record it has to be xrayed . This is because those that know how to do it can make the rack score much higher especially the width . One buck I had mounted broke off one small tine by me dropping it , I kept the tine and the Taxidermist fixed and you can't even tell he did . Milo Hansen's buck has a bullet lodged in its rack . It didn't break and he taped the rack to keep it from breaking completely off which was legal. Listen to all the podcasts one guy tells how the rack can be modified to where the natural eye can tell no difference. It will never be deemed the world record which is a shame unless somethings a foul .

fairchaser

Mitch Rompola had the incentive, the means and the know how to fake a buck. Just because he tricked a few people, doesn't make it real. This is the epitome of what happens when you have an obsession with big antlers along with wanting bragging rights.

We all know people who will do whatever it takes to get a giant buck. It doesn't matter if they have to poach it, fake it, buy it or grow it. The story is sad really of just how far someone will go.

Ski

Mitch Rompola had the incentive, the means and the know how to fake a buck. Just because he tricked a few people, doesn't make it real. This is the epitome of what happens when you have an obsession with big antlers along with wanting bragging rights.

We all know people who will do whatever it takes to get a giant buck. It doesn't matter if they have to poach it, fake it, buy it or grow it. The story is sad really of just how far someone will go.

That's the only way I've ever been able to make sense of it.

Openlake

I find it interesting that the ONLY people saying it was a fraud were people that never had hands on the buck. The highly experienced scorers that spent hours examining the buck unanimously endorse its legitimacy. It is the real deal. I respect those guys.

As far as the x-ray, it was a challenge by a jealous rival. Rompala had no need to "prove" himself or the buck to everyone that challenged him. A real man. He knows the truth. I believe the Hanson and Jordan world record bucks were never x-rayed. That might be a good official practice for record book qualification but not required currently.

Fun to think about.

Latest posts