Whitetail neophyte

Let me start off by saying that I'm in my 50's and have hunted since I could walk. I grew up chasing mule deer, elk, sheep, goats, and even made a few trips to California chasing black tail and wild boar (all with a bow and all on public land). In the western states archery season (for the most part) opens long before the rut starts and spot and stalk is the best way to hunt. Then I moved to middle Tennessee and began pursuing whitetail. I found out in a hurry that this is an entirely different ball game. I have been hunting WMA's and haven't had any luck finding even a doe to shoot at. This has definitely been a humbling experience. Best of luck to all of you you have to be doing better than I am.

five by five

I started hunting whitetail less than 15 years ago so I can relate. The greatest lesson I learned was you can ruin a spot in a hurry if you don't pay attention to the wind. The first year I found sign like droppings, and nipped trees and plants where they were feeding so I knew they were there, but I didn't see a single deer besides what I jumped going to or from my stand. Once I started playing the wind properly I saw deer while on stand.
Good luck!

Ski

First of all, welcome to TN and tndeer.

Yes, whitetails can be challenging, especially here in the south. I lived in NM for 11yrs before moving here in 2015, but I had grown up in southern Ohio bow hunting whitetails. I lived in Alaska for 4yrs and Oklahoma for a couple. I have also hunted a lot of the midwest states. Everywhere I've ever been, the locals think it's the most challenging hunting conditions of all and that anybody from anywhere else would struggle. While it is partially true that each region has its unique challenges, hunting whitetails in the south with a bow is about as tough big game hunting as I've ever experienced.

You'll figure it out. It's just a learning curve. They're still deer. They still have to eat. Unlike most western experiences you won't be able to glass a deer & put on a stalk. They're wily & alert and they sound off to alert others. With all the cover they can disappear right before your eyes. And their tolerance for human scent is zero. They're tough. But once you find your groove you'll be dialing in on some pretty regular. Sitting still to ambush them is the best way with archery.

I'm just north of Manchester, about half hour south of Woodbury. Not terribly far from you at all. I'll be in Ohio this weekend until I get one up there, and possibly heading to NM to aid in a mule deer hunt, but when I'm back in TN I'd be happy to show you a couple local WMA's & hunt a spot or two if you like.

First of all, welcome to TN and tndeer.

Yes, whitetails can be challenging, especially here in the south. I lived in NM for 11yrs before moving here in 2015, but I had grown up in southern Ohio bow hunting whitetails. I lived in Alaska for 4yrs and Oklahoma for a couple. I have also hunted a lot of the midwest states. Everywhere I've ever been, the locals think it's the most challenging hunting conditions of all and that anybody from anywhere else would struggle. While it is partially true that each region has its unique challenges, hunting whitetails in the south with a bow is about as tough big game hunting as I've ever experienced.

You'll figure it out. It's just a learning curve. They're still deer. They still have to eat. Unlike most western experiences you won't be able to glass a deer & put on a stalk. They're wily & alert and they sound off to alert others. With all the cover they can disappear right before your eyes. And their tolerance for human scent is zero. They're tough. But once you find your groove you'll be dialing in on some pretty regular. Sitting still to ambush them is the best way with archery.

I'm just north of Manchester, about half hour south of Woodbury. Not terribly far from you at all. I'll be in Ohio this weekend until I get one up there, and possibly heading to NM to aid in a mule deer hunt, but when I'm back in TN I'd be happy to show you a couple local WMA's & hunt a spot or two if you like.
Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I have a feeling we don't live far apart. I'm in Readyville. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I started hunting whitetail less than 15 years ago so I can relate. The greatest lesson I learned was you can ruin a spot in a hurry if you don't pay attention to the wind. The first year I found sign like droppings, and nipped trees and plants where they were feeding so I knew they were there, but I didn't see a single deer besides what I jumped going to or from my stand. Once I started playing the wind properly I saw deer while on stand.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. I will definitely pay more attention to that.

DeerCamp

Let me start off by saying that I'm in my 50's and have hunted since I could walk. I grew up chasing mule deer, elk, sheep, goats, and even made a few trips to California chasing black tail and wild boar (all with a bow and all on public land). In the western states archery season (for the most part) opens long before the rut starts and spot and stalk is the best way to hunt. Then I moved to middle Tennessee and began pursuing whitetail. I found out in a hurry that this is an entirely different ball game. I have been hunting WMA's and haven't had any luck finding even a doe to shoot at. This has definitely been a humbling experience. Best of luck to all of you you have to be doing better than I am.
Welcome!

Which part of the state are you hunting? Might be able to give you some tips/

Snake

Get a tree stand and scout . Although I have shot a deer on a stalk its not recommended. Whitetail are very difficult to stalk close enough for a bow but in the right conditions I do like to still hunt with a gun .

backyardtndeer

Welcome to tndeer. Depending on where you are trying to hunt, deer are probably on acorns. Around here when there are heavy acorns crops, the deer just seem to wander aimlessly to the next trees that are dropping. If you can find a good white oak that is dropping, you will have deer in the area and they will eventually find it. Good luck.

Get a tree stand and scout . Although I have shot a deer on a stalk its not recommended. Whitetail are very difficult to stalk close enough for a bow but in the right conditions I do like to still hunt with a gun .
I have a tree saddle and have spent several hours in it. As crunchy as the woods are right now it would be dang near impossible to stalk something I'd imagine. Thank you for the advice.

Welcome to tndeer. Depending on where you are trying to hunt, deer are probably on acorns. Around here when there are heavy acorns crops, the deer just seem to wander aimlessly to the next trees that are dropping. If you can find a good white oak that is dropping, you will have deer in the area and they will eventually find it. Good luck.
There are definitely tons of acorns this year. Thank you for the advice and encouragement

Snake

Forgive my rudeness , welcome to tndeer . There are some great people on this site willing to answer your questions and help .

Forgive my rudeness , welcome to tndeer . There are some great people on this site willing to answer your questions and help .
No forgiveness needed. Everyone has been very helpful. Thank you again.

Bone Collector

this year has been really down for sightings. It appears that the bumper crop of acorns has them NOT moving much. I have killed at least one with my bow, in most years, but this year I saw 4 deer total in 8 sits, and none were within range. It goes like that some years and if you stick with it, you will kill a whitetail deer on public land because they are in there, but they are just harder to kill due to pressure.

killingtime 41

Hunting in a place that's super thick and has lots of terrain features is easier for some and not easy if you're not use to it. Study topo maps or learn to if you don't know how. It's worth it's weight in gold

Gravey

Welcome to middle Tennessee. I'm in Rutherford county too. First question…how do you vote? Ok kidding. I haven't hunted public land in quite a while but it can be tough. Hunt the hunters and if you can go during the week I would and avoid the weekend. Best of luck!

Welcome to middle Tennessee. I'm in Rutherford county too. First question…how do you vote? Ok kidding. I haven't hunted public land in quite a while but it can be tough. Hunt the hunters and if you can go during the week I would and avoid the weekend. Best of luck!
Republican of course. I work weekends so all I do is hunt during the week. I've yet to see another hunter. Thanks for the reply

Latest posts