Rub size

BSK

Im sure some here would remember, back in the 80s Tinks 69 had a commercial with a spike rubbing a power pole! as far as height vs diameter, my experience is that ive seen multible 130s -170s rubbing very small trees and low and high in height? Ive watched yearlings rubb 10-16 in diameter trees, high and low. so MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is that its VERY random! i hope you have a monster on your property though!
If you had read my post, I clearly stated once a large rub is created, every buck reworks it, including young bucks/spikes.

BSK

Sign post rub every deer going by hits it, shot a 8pt that scent cked 1 as it walked by, winmag ruined his day. Tree had fresh rubs on it the rest of the season but never caught another 1 checking it. Would have been a great place for a stealth camera,
That is how the original signpost rub research was conducted. The first commercially available trail-cameras were used, pointing at signpost rubs from previous years (rub-scarred trees). Every deer that visited was documented over the course of several years. Can't remember off the top of my head how many signpost rubs were monitored but it was quite a few.

megalomaniac

I don't really get excited until I find a rub line (4 or 5 decent sized rubs along a trail (usually not the main deer trail, but paralleling it)) going from bedding to somewhere else. Those were money back when I hunted in late Oct.

Now I don't even look for rubs, but I'm just hunting peak prerut and rut.... so I'm hunting the first does to come into estrus

BSK

I don't really get excited until I find a rub line (4 or 5 decent sized rubs along a trail (usually not the main deer trail, but paralleling it)) going from bedding to somewhere else. Those were money back when I hunted in late Oct.

Now I don't even look for rubs, but I'm just hunting peak prerut and rut.... so I'm hunting the first does to come into estrus
Rubs fascinate. I did extensive research on them for a decade. However, I don't let their presence or absence alter my hunting. Scrapes on the other, will influence my hunting.

Latest posts