Jon boat project

catman529

Update....

Whole container of paint stripper

P1020657.jpg

Still had to scrub quite a bit to get the blue stuff off.

P1020658.jpg

The black stuff on the bottom would not come off. It would take a lot of work to get it off. I am thinking of just putting the primer over it and painting over it. I have Rustoleum self-etching primer and camo paint (green color only). I found a heavy duty paint stripping tool that you attach to your drill. Not sure if I should drop the $8 and change on it - would it be worth it to get the black stuff off the boat, or should I just paint over it? It is not regular paint, seems like it was some kind of liner, but has mostly been scraped off over who knows how many years.

Scraped, sanded, and JB-welded the old patched rivets. A few patch jobs were solid enough that I just left them or touched them up. Some I had to completely scrape off and re-patch.

P1020663.jpg

Decided to do some work on the middle seat. The rivets on the bottom had popped out of the seat so the floor was not secured to the seat.

P1020666.jpg

Sanded/scraped around the rivets and put in 2 stainless steel bolts on either side of the seat. I think 4 good solid bolts sealed with silicone should help keep the seat flush with the floor. Might add more JB weld around the bolts for durability...

P1020669.jpg

P1020670.jpg

I am moving on to install new handles soon and trying to decide if there is a good solid place I can put a couple of cleats.

I also have to decide whether to go the extra mile and get rid of that black stuff or just paint over it. I will most likely take the boat for a float before wiping down with vinegar, drying, applying primer and then the paint. I want to make sure there are no leaks before painting.

Can I get some input on the black paint/coating/liner or whatever it is? It's pretty thick unlike the thin blue paint which flaked off easily. If I had the extra money I'd coat the whole bottom in truck bed liner but for now I just want to get the boat painted.

AllOutdoors

If you are wanting to put the truck bed liner on the inside of the boat you will be ok. If you are wanting to put in on the outside, BIG mistake IMO. First if you do not get every inch of the bottom sanded rough, it will not stick for very long. And if its on the outside it will be taking impacts. Another thing is this stuff dries rough. If you come to a shoal on the Harpeth with a bare aluminum bottom you can typically slide over the rocks, If not the boat is easy to drag over the rocks. With the liner on the bottom, its like having brakes on your boat. When you get to a shallow spot the boat will stop instead on sliding over. Liner on the inside good, outside bad. This is stated from experience. And depending on how much gear you carry and how bouyant the boat is, it may be bad altogether. This liner is heavy. Once put on, it is extra weight that cant be removed.

Anyway, Carry on.... And boat is looking good.

catman529

thanks for the advice. I was only thinking of the bed liner but probably won't do it. Anyway that black would get darn hot on the floor of the boat in the summer. My main concern is whether or not I should paint over the old black stuff. I guess if I do and it chips off over time, I can re-do it. Rustoleum isn't that expensive.

fishboy1

Catman.
Be sure to get a good coat of silicone between the SS bolts and the aluminum. It will help prevent galvanic corrosion.

Looks good. You should enjoy that boat for a long time.

BDS05

I used the truck bed liner stuff from Cabelas and it lasted well, for years.. After three or four years, the only place it was peeling was in the back where water and oil would sit. Like anything else, the preparation in laying it is where it pays off.
For the black crud, an option to try is soaking it in acetone before killing yourself trying to scrub it. Speaking from MY personal experience, I've found acetone to work much better than paint thinner.
Goodluck

catman529

BDS05 said:
I used the truck bed liner stuff from Cabelas and it lasted well, for years.. After three or four years, the only place it was peeling was in the back where water and oil would sit. Like anything else, the preparation in laying it is where it pays off.
For the black crud, an option to try is soaking it in acetone before killing yourself trying to scrub it. Speaking from MY personal experience, I've found acetone to work much better than paint thinner.
Goodluck
Never thought of acetone, may try a little nail polish remover on a small area and if it works I can buy a bigger container of acetone.

I will use the drill scrubber to strip that doggone black stuff off. It won't scrape easily, but it does chip, so I can just imagine the paint coming off after dragging the boat a few times.

bowriter

R.I.P.
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE "BLACK STUFF" OFF. If you do, that sucker will leak like a collander. The black stuff is gypsum carbonic aluminum sealer. It is all that keeps the boat floating.

Big J

What kind of primer are you going to use and what kind of paint?

Thinking about stripping mine down and painting it.

I am going to put shark skin on it for sure after it is painted. That stuff is tuff!

catman529

Big J said:
What kind of primer are you going to use and what kind of paint?

Thinking about stripping mine down and painting it.

I am going to put shark skin on it for sure after it is painted. That stuff is tuff!
Rustoleum self-etching primer and Rustoleum Camouflage paint in the dark green color. Never heard of shark skin before.

Big J

fishboy1 said:
Catman.
Be sure to get a good coat of silicone between the SS bolts and the aluminum. It will help prevent galvanic corrosion.

Also add nylon washers on both sides. That will stop the corrosion completely!!

catman529

Big J said:
fishboy1 said:
Catman.

Also add nylon washers on both sides. That will stop the corrosion completely!!
There's something I didn't think of.... any risk of the nylon wearing out and cracking over time?

Big J

I was also told by another boat finisher that all you have to do is flip the boat. repair any holes with 3m 5200 and let cure. then wash it with 50/50 bleach and water, let it dry and put on the paint. Said he likes valspar.

Told me to forget all that etching primer crap. Id I wanted to use some primer just throw on some rustoleum and paint the dang thing.

That is exactly what I am going to do. He said to many people worry and mess with the bottom to much. Said they take it to seriously.

I have seen his boats after being redone and I can send you some pics. I have no reason to not believe this guy and I know him personally!

catman529

Big J said:
I was also told by another boat finisher that all you have to do is flip the boat. repair any holes with 3m 5200 and let cure. then wash it with 50/50 bleach and water, let it dry and put on the paint. Said he likes valspar.

Told me to forget all that etching primer crap. Id I wanted to use some primer just throw on some rustoleum and paint the dang thing.

That is exactly what I am going to do. He said to many people worry and mess with the bottom to much. Said they take it to seriously.

I have seen his boats after being redone and I can send you some pics. I have no reason to not believe this guy and I know him personally!
sounds cool. I think the primer helps when painting on bare aluminum, according to what I have read. You can get a good paint job to stick to bare aluminum with no primer but I hear that it won't last as long and will chip off sooner than if you prime it. I just want to get a good paint job on there that lasts a good while.

I'm gonna have to look for some nylon washers and re-do some of those bolts. And definitely need some 3M 5200 since I have heard nothing but good about it.

If you are going to paint over the existing paint on your boat, I would wonder if you even need a primer. Doesn't paint stick to paint? Just rough it up a little with 400 sandpaper or something like that. Just my 2 cents, I really am a complete novice with boats and painting. Been doing my research on it.

Big J

You can get the 3m 5200 at bass pro I'n Nashville. I picked mine up yesterday. They had a couple different sizes. Walmart discontinuing all there sea sense boat stuff. It is all red tagged. I picked up stern lights and all kinds of ropes and stuff the other day for some pretty cheap prices. I am putting I'n two 12 volt adapters(cig lighter outlets). For spot lights. One I'n the front and one I'n the back. I snatched up a bunch of led light for the inside. They were at walmart on sale.

Latest posts