Jon boat project

catman529

I got back from academy with some E6000 adhesive. I walked into the store expecting to just buy a tube of 3M 5200, but then saw on the package that it did not mention use on any type of metal, only fiberglass and wood. I then got on Google on my phone and researched a bit, and couldn't find anything where someone used it successfully on aluminum - seems like you'd need to use some kind of primer. I figured I would scratch that and get the E6000... medium viscosity, so maybe it will seep in between the rivet and hull better, bonds to a lot of stuff including aluminum, waterproof, and is still flexible. Only con that I could find is that it needs to be painted over for UV protection. No problem because I will apply it all before painting the boat. I hope it holds out well because I don't want to get into replacing rivets if I can help it. I already replaced 4 rivets with bolts and that's all I hope I have to do.

Big J

Hope it works out well for ya on the e6000. Have not heard anything about it. I will let you know how the 3m does for me.

catman529

Yeah a google search does not show much about E6000 but I did not see any negative reviews at all. One guy said it ripped up a 0.040 aluminum panel when trying remove a glued-on trolling motor mount. There is some clear epoxy-like glue on some of the rivets on the inside of my boat, my guess is it's either epoxy or E6000, seems to be slightly flexible. Either way I hope it works well. It's supposed to be fairly tacky, but as it sets, it will run a little so I hope it will fill in all the cracks for a good solid seal, not looking for a paste anymore to cover the rivets with, found it's not a good idea. Some of the JB weld has already cracked and I could chip it off with a chisel while chipping off the black stuff. I sanded the areas but did not clean them properly so adhesion was bad. Even if adhesion was good, JB weld cracks too easily. Lesson learned, hope this new stuff works.

Big J

I have the 3m 5200 on now. I plan on float testing the boat before painting it. Maybe Monday or tuesday. I can't wait to paint it so I can get it turned over and get the inside mod going.I have got to figure out this electrical crap. Never had to do it before. Should not be rocket science.

catman529

Yeah I floated mine before painting... floated fine, but then I decided to do more work on the bottom and most of the JB weld will be replaced now. Might float it again after the E6000 before painting.

SilverFox

If you can sit it up on sawhorses you can fill it with water at home... easier to find the leak that way but you have to pay for the water. Just make sure you have the boat supported good since water is a LOT of weight. If you're gonna paint put a little food coloring in the water and it will help find it... just don't make a mess and make the wife kill you! If it has rivets this may be the only way to find a leak since the seam make it's hard to pin-point the exact location.

On a float test you want to make sure you have the boat loaded down to the max you're gonna carry. With only one person the boat may not be low enough in the water or have the weight in the right place to make it leak... aluminum will bend and some holes can almost seal theirself if the wieght is not in the right place and then you find it when you have the boat loaded.

catman529

haha man this boat has been through a lot... Almost every single rivet was patched when I bought it, but I doubt all of them leaked. At least a good handful are noticeably loose. Just gonna re-patch with the E6000 and maybe try to tighten a couple of the loosest rivets. Some rivets already replaced with bolts. Just gonna get a good flexible seal in the remaining rivets even if I'm not sure they are leaking. Might protect against future leaks...?

catman529

that's what I will do if I decide to tighten some. See the most loose rivets have detached from the seat bottom, so they are loose but still attached to the hull bottom. That's why I put 4 bolts in the middle seat which seems to be a lot more solid than a few old rivets would be. Still I may tighten some up if I can, otherwise I will just fill them in with E6000 and hope they stay sealed for a long time.

catman529

UPDATE

Half way through stripping the bottom of the hull.

1328303281.jpg

Left side is scraped and sanded, middle is scraped, right is not done yet.

Once it's all done I will go back with the sanding/stripping tool and touch up any spots I missed. Then I will get to work on all the rivets and leaks and get her ready to be primed.

catman529

SilverFox said:
You guys need to tighten up... feeeeshing season is here!
bank fishing is still my friend, caught a couple crappie the other day at dusk (wearing a Reel Daddy shirt), I fish whenever I can :grin:

Latest posts