Is this buck gone for good?

fairchaser

I got a picture of this buck and he obviously sees the camera and then next two photos (I have it set on 3 shot burst then a video) he wheels around and runs off. I didn't get any video before he ran off.

My stand is 350 yards away. Will I ever see him again? Cameras can be a blessing and a curse.

Attachments

• 45EEEAC3-5402-4EE7-ACD4-FA2AF5CF3A5C.jpeg
    45EEEAC3-5402-4EE7-ACD4-FA2AF5CF3A5C.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 289

Remington700

50/50 chance I would say. Depends on pressure in the area, how bad it scared him, etc. Also, with the rut around the corner he might be leaving the area anyways. You'll have to stay tuned.

BSK

Deer have a shocking ability to notice anything new in their environment. Cut a sapling - they notice. Hang a camera - they notice. Put up a stand - they notice. And sometimes they react violently to the change. But once the "new thing" does them no harm, they ignore it.

To answer the original question, the buck seeing the camera and running away from it means nothing. He will be back. The one caveat to this is if a deer gets visibly flashed by a camera at night. They WILL avoid that in the future, but not by changing locations, just walking behind the camera.

rem270

Deer have a shocking ability to notice anything new in their environment. Cut a sapling - they notice. Hang a camera - they notice. Put up a stand - they notice. And sometimes they react violently to the change. But once the "new thing" does them no harm, they ignore it.

To answer the original question, the buck seeing the camera and running away from it means nothing. He will be back. The one caveat to this is if a deer gets visibly flashed by a camera at night. They WILL avoid that in the future, but not by changing locations, just walking behind the camera.
I used to have 2 or 3 moultrie cams that took the colored night time pics. In order to get those they had the white flash. I never seen any negative effects from it but I know their had to be. I remember multiple times walking in and seeing the cam go off and it lit up the woods for a split second. The only negative effect I know for certain was from my dad. He walked by it one morning not knowing it was there. He about had to change his drawers lol.

BSK

I used to have 2 or 3 moultrie cams that took the colored night time pics. In order to get those they had the white flash. I never seen any negative effects from it but I know their had to be. I remember multiple times walking in and seeing the cam go off and it lit up the woods for a split second. The only negative effect I know for certain was from my dad. He walked by it one morning not knowing it was there. He about had to change his drawers lol.
Back when I still used hacked digital camera trail-cams, that use white flash, the two major patterns I could count on was a rapidly declining number of pictures at each cam from week to week to week, and deer learning to walk behind the camera. I have a long narrow food plot that I've monitored with a camera from various locations for years. When I still used white-flash cams, I would watch deer walk up the middle of the plot until just before they entered the cams trigger area. Then the deer would leave the plot, walk behind the camera, and then reenter the plot just beyond the camera's trigger area. The white-flash camera caused the deer to alter their behavior, but it did not influence them to leave the area or make major changes to their travel pattern.

ZachMarkus

So you think there's a good chance this buck will stay around? He saw the red glow of my reveal cell cam.

Attachments

• SYFW1212.mov
    18.5 MB

Snake

I got a picture of this buck and he obviously sees the camera and then next two photos (I have it set on 3 shot burst then a video) he wheels around and runs off. I didn't get any video before he ran off.

My stand is 350 yards away. Will I ever see him again? Cameras can be a blessing and a curse.
Boy he's a stud but smart and a cautious one at that . Be hard to tell Fairchaser but I'd still hunt him hopefully after a couple days he'll forget . Maybe he'll come back around cautiously and see nothing to harm him . Although deer are cautious they are curious.

TheLBLman

I frequently see ANY disturbance shift where deer utilize an area (feed and/or pass thru) by 25 to 150 yds. Place a ladder stand, hunt it several times, and many the older deer will start passing by where they are not seen by someone in the stand (often by passing thru on the opposite side of the tree).

Red flash cams can be almost as bad as white flash (and in some cases have seemed worse) in "spooking" deer. They will also spook a coyote even faster.

For this reason I usually favor true black (invisible) flash cams.
I do use many Browning Pro Scout cell cams which are red flash, but when set to their lowest intensity (economy mode), I can still use them around scrapes without spooking deer (and still get acceptable nighttime images). But they will still spook a coyote.

Ski

If he's a resident buck you're OK. He'll stay around. But if you just happened to get his picture as he was on a walk about, then maybe not. In other words if you know the buck then yeah I'd expect him to stay. If not then maybe/probably won't see him anywhere near that camera again.

Lots of bucks are shifting range right now. Some for food. Some just because it's that time. And some because they were being hunted somewhere else so they're searching for new home. I've chases away many great bucks by hunting them and they stay gone.

backyardtndeer

That looks like a great buck. Hard to say if he will be back or not, I don't think any mature bucks act exactly the same. Hope he comes back around while you are in your stand though.

megalomaniac

Those bucks aren't leaving from getting their pics taken/ spooking off the camera. Like BSK said, they will learn to avoid getting in front of the camera, though.

I watched a mature buck do that a few years ago. Had 2 pics of him a month before on a salt lick. Saw him 3 times that hunting season browsing and getting salt run off from BEHIND the camera. He wasn't a shooter, so it was neat actually seeing him multiple times from the stand, 10y from the camera, yet never getting another pic of him that year.

Latest posts