Food Plots Is it too late to plant soybeans and sweet corn?

SMarshall

I am planning on planting a section of soybeans and a section of sweet corn in my food plot and leave them both through at least bow season. Is it too late for the soybeans? I saw on here where a couple of guys had already planted theirs.

ADR

Not too late for either. Depending on what your plans are for fall plots you can use an earlier maturing soybean groups for the bean plots.

SMarshall

An earlier maturing bean for the bean plot? Please expand on that. I'm planning on planting 1/4 of an acre with corn and other things planted around them.

Boll Weevil

Not too late for either. Not sure about your deer density but unless you put a hot fence around it they'll eat 1/4 acre of soybeans in a few days. If you don't fence, it probably won't even get a day or 3 past germination/emergence.

ADR

SMarshall":10tfaxaz said:
An earlier maturing bean for the bean plot? Please expand on that. I'm planning on planting 1/4 of an acre with corn and other things planted around them.

Most plant seed makers in the ag industry have different varieties of soybeans that mature at different rates. They usually mark those as group 3-7+.

Beans of the group 3 varieties mature quicker than say a group 7 bean. This relates to a shorter time from planting to harvest and allows an earlier crop to be planted in the fall. I know you may not be harvesting them but you can get another crop established in the standing bean stalks.

A group 7 will stay greener longer into bow season but may limit planting options after defoliation.

I do think you will have issues keeping your beans from being destroyed in that small of a plot.

Hope this helps answer your question.

chebuck

SMarshall":19dwxu7i said:
I am planning on planting a section of soybeans and a section of sweet corn in my food plot and leave them both through at least bow season. Is it too late for the soybeans? I saw on here where a couple of guys had already planted theirs.

Not to late at all. But like others have said it will have a hard time getting going with such a small plot. Most row cropers are just now getting started planting beans and plant up till July.

MickThompson

I prefer to plant after a good green up, around Memorial Day. I don't care about having bean pods through the winter, I want high quality forage to last until the frost gets it. Plant earlier or early maturing varieties otherwise.

SMarshall

Thanks for the replies fellas! I am going to look in to the different maturing rates of the beans before I plant them. What would be some options for fencing the beans until they mature? I might be able to get some of my plot out this weekend and then plant the beans and corn the first weekend in June.

chebuck

SMarshall":15sa9jt2 said:
Thanks for the replies fellas! I am going to look in to the different maturing rates of the beans before I plant them. What would be some options for fencing the beans until they mature? I might be able to get some of my plot out this weekend and then plant the beans and corn the first weekend in June.

I think a double electric fence works best but it'll cost just as much as the plot. You can use it year after year though.

hitek7

We will plant our corn mid June so that it matures a little later and does not get eaten before gun season. If we plant too early, it does not last through bow season...

SMarshall

Ok well. I've got the beans in the ground along with a good bit of clover mix all around the edges of the woods. I did 1/2 acre of beans. I've still got 1/2 acre of ground in the middle of the field beside the beans left to plant. I'm planning on planting it in field corn (not sweet corn) the second weekend in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoon

Haven't started prepping my grounds yet. I'm hoping to spray next week and have corn planted by 10th of June

SMarshall

I checked on the plot today and there are little green sprouts coming up everywhere. I think our timing was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts