Inline Muzzleloader Questions

Scioto

For muzzleloader season, I have always hunted using a "primitive" smokepole. This year I broke down and bought a TC Impact with scope (I read good reviews about this rifle and liked the adjustable pull so my son and/or daughter can use it when they are ready to hunt).

To shoot the thing, what I think I need are: (a) powder charge tubes, (b) propellant (I'm thinking I'll use Blackhorn 209), (c) primer, and (d) sabots (leaning toward Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ .50 cal, 250 gr). Anything else? Any recomendations?

Each year my buck fever gets worse. What a wonderful feeling!

Thanks for the help.

rukiddin

ML bullets are a lot like shotgun slugs. You may have one kind that does'nt shoot worth a dam, but change bullets and you can have a tack driver...So don't be afraid to experiment with different weights or types of bullets.

Rubberduck270

Good call on the Blackhorn 209. You'll need either weight scales or a volumetric scale to measure the powder out. For primers, don't use ML primers. Use regular or magnum 209 shotshell primers. And like rukiddin? said, don't be afraid to experiment with loads and projectiles. Little tinkering usually goes a long way with a ML.

Scioto

Rubberduck270 said:
Good call on the Blackhorn 209. You'll need either weight scales or a volumetric scale to measure the powder out. For primers, don't use ML primers. Use regular or magnum 209 shotshell primers. And like rukiddin? said, don't be afraid to experiment with loads and projectiles. Little tinkering usually goes a long way with a ML.

Is the use of a scale necessary from a safety perspective or performance perspective or both? I'm used to pouring the black powder into a powder measure and dumping it down the barrell of the smokepole.

The primers are the one thing that are very confusing to me. Any recommendations on brand of primers? By "ML primers" do you mean the percussion cap that fits on the nipple? Thanks.

BSK

rukiddin? said:
ML bullets are a lot like shotgun slugs. You may have one kind that does'nt shoot worth a dam, but change bullets and you can have a tack driver...So don't be afraid to experiment with different weights or types of bullets.

This is such good and important advice, you should read it twice!

bowriter

R.I.P.
I use 209 primers and it isimprtant to get the powder the same every time. For that reason, buy four or five speed loaders to hold the pre-measured powder and slug. As said, can't be said enough, you may need to experiment. Might take a couple trips to the range. If you can't get three shots inside 3", try something else. First thing to do is back off the powder charge. I'd start with 120 and work up or down until you get what you want.

Rubberduck270

OHVATN said:
Is the use of a scale necessary from a safety perspective or performance perspective or both? I'm used to pouring the black powder into a powder measure and dumping it down the barrell of the smokepole.

The primers are the one thing that are very confusing to me. Any recommendations on brand of primers? By "ML primers" do you mean the percussion cap that fits on the nipple? Thanks.
The scale is for both safety and repeatability. If your charges are varying in weights, you'll chase vertical strings all day. With a muzzle loader, consistency is key. Everything has to be the same from shot to shot. Charge weight, loading pressure, barrel temp and barrel condition (how dirty it is) all need to stay the same on each shot.

A ML (muzzle loader) primer is a primer designed for use with black powder, Pyrodex and 777. They aren't as hot as a 209 primer made to be used in shotgun shells even though they are the same size. CCI 209 magnum or Federal 209A primers are the hottest made. For Blackhorn 209 you need the hotter fire for good ignition, so don't use ML 209 primers. Find some actual 209 shot shell primers and use them.

bigfoot318

I shoot a Savage smokeless muzzleloader. The most accurate load I found is 45 grains 5744 smokeless powder, Hornady FTX 325 grain bullet in .458 diameter (this is a 45/70 bullet), used with the orange high power sabots. You use the orange sabots because they are designed for the fatter diameter bullet. Absolutely devastating bullet. I tried the Barnes bullets and they were not accurate and very hard for me to load. Maybe it was my gun or maybe it was me or maybe the bullet/sabot combo but I could not get the Barnes to shoot for me.

Latest posts