I'm starting to reload. I need hunting bullet suggestions

JimFromTN

Re: I'm starting to reload. I need hunting bullet suggestio

EastTNHunter":rfr8gcl4 said:
I love the regular Accubonds. For 400yd you should not need the LR model, (the LR has a reputation for not staying together at closer ranges) and last thing I knew Shooters Pro Shop had the .308 180gr Accubond blems for under $20 in stock. I don't think you could go wrong with the 165 either. And good luck getting one to stay in a deer at under 250yd, as I never have out of my 30-06, but still get bang-flops every time.

Had the same issue with 180 gr 30 cal sierra game kings when pig hunting in GA. I was reloading 300 win mag. Had 2 explode on impact. Lost one pig and found the 2nd. I now reload 200 gr nosler partitians for pig hunting.

infoman jr.

I appreciate all of the input, guys. I guess my only hangup at this point is meat loss. My family relies heavily on the deer I kill for our meat, so I'd hate to lose much. I shot three big does this fall with my .308 semiauto using TTSX bullets, and the only meat I lost was one where I center punched her backstrap. Even then, I only lost 2 or 3 inches from each one.

Should I expect a bunch of bloodshot meat from the Accubonds?

TNRifleman

I have shot 7-8 deer with 180 gr .30 cal accubonds and have never had any meat loss. I have never recovered a bullet from them as they have all been double lung pass through me with a good exit hole. The other plus is that the I have had mostly bang flops but I did have one run about 30 yards this year.

Rockhound

infoman jr.":3gik78d3 said:
I appreciate all of the input, guys. I guess my only hangup at this point is meat loss. My family relies heavily on the deer I kill for our meat, so I'd hate to lose much. I shot three big does this fall with my .308 semiauto using TTSX bullets, and the only meat I lost was one where I center punched her backstrap. Even then, I only lost 2 or 3 inches from each one.

Should I expect a bunch of bloodshot meat from the Accubonds?

Not meat loss with the accubond at all in my experience don't let my accubomb nickname worry you. They are excellent bullets

GOODWIN

Jcalder":16nnsf19 said:
Sierra gamekings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKs always shoot well for me. Recently loaded some 65gr GK over 24.5gr Varget. .015 off lands. Win primers federal brass with minimal brass prep. First 5 shot group out of my dads new Tikka 223 was less than 0.5"! First load ever tested. He was pleased.

mr.big

my 308 hunting load is a 150 gr Hornady BTSP Interlock//Sierra GK BTSP and a max charge of IMR 8208XBR,, most people that shoot 80-90 gr heads in the 223 usually wind up at 23.5-24 grs Varget

Deer Assassin

TiminTN":rysyvcha said:
I much prefer the Nosler Accubond, never tried or seen a need to try the LR version.

ditto not to mention the lrab have a false bc

on game
accubond
e tip
partition
barnes ttsx

on deer

53 barnes tsx
55 tsx
62 tsx
60 partition
64 bsb nosler

150 accubond
180 accubond

infoman jr.

I bought a box of 165 Accubonds at lunch today, and I just finished sizing and depriming my first bunch of 50 cases. I'll need to verify the length of my Lee case trimmer tomorrow then I'm at a standstill until I obtain primers and get a way to clean brass.

DaveB

You can wipe the brass clean with a clean rag, just no grit allowed. Use no ammonia ever.

once you have the brass clean, open your action and drop a piece into the chamber. close the bolt theoretically you are in battery, eject. No binding, no extra muscle required to close or open? Brass length should be good. You have FL sized so take an Accubond and see if it drops into the brass or just sits there, which is the correct state.

Now, do you have a chamfer tool? If you have one, now is when you use it(shoulda done this prior to sizing, just my opinion). The squared off edge of the brass may shave some copper off the bullet as it is being seated. I don't like it, probably won't hurt, still don't like it, get an inside and outside chamfer tool, I like Lyman, RCBS, not Lee, and must have a handle.

Do not buy a priming tool, see if your press can stand in for the duty. If you want a priming tool don't get the square Lee. the round one is out of production. RCBS makes one I like even though i am having some troubles.

Set your scale up, zero it. pick it up and move it to a different table. Check the zero. This is just to show you Flat is not always flat and you need to always re-zero your scale before you open your powder. An Oversight here can have bad results. Keep your appendages attached and scars to a minimum, please always re-zero.

open your loading Log Book and make an entry. This is just to remind yourself Brass, caliber, bullet, powder, charge, primer, date, temp, anything else you want to add.

Open your powder, measure a charge based on published data, not internet numbers unless you trust the source. Load powder into brass. Look into the brass and get familiar with what the charge looks like, after ten or so rounds you will know and an over-charge will stand out.

You'll have a lot of fun and satisfaction in loading your own.

infoman jr.

DaveB":1p6cwnwb said:
You can wipe the brass clean with a clean rag, just no grit allowed. Use no ammonia ever.

once you have the brass clean, open your action and drop a piece into the chamber. close the bolt theoretically you are in battery, eject. No binding, no extra muscle required to close or open? Brass length should be good. You have FL sized so take an Accubond and see if it drops into the brass or just sits there, which is the correct state.

I have the Lee trimmer that chucks up to a drill. I had trimmed a case and just wanted to verify its length before I started in on the rest. They ended up at 2.010 which is fine. I'm not going to get too crazy loading them long as I don't want to compromise feeding from the mag.

Now, do you have a chamfer tool? If you have one, now is when you use it(shoulda done this prior to sizing, just my opinion). The squared off edge of the brass may shave some copper off the bullet as it is being seated. I don't like it, probably won't hurt, still don't like it, get an inside and outside chamfer tool, I like Lyman, RCBS, not Lee, and must have a handle.

I have the double-ended RCBS chamfer tool. It seems to work very well.

Do not buy a priming tool, see if your press can stand in for the duty. If you want a priming tool don't get the square Lee. the round one is out of production. RCBS makes one I like even though i am having some troubles.

My RCBS kit came with their priming. I'll give it a shot.

Set your scale up, zero it. pick it up and move it to a different table. Check the zero. This is just to show you Flat is not always flat and you need to always re-zero your scale before you open your powder. An Oversight here can have bad results. Keep your appendages attached and scars to a minimum, please always re-zero.

open your loading Log Book and make an entry. This is just to remind yourself Brass, caliber, bullet, powder, charge, primer, date, temp, anything else you want to add.

I happened to grab a notebook the other day and will be keeping detailed records.

Open your powder, measure a charge based on published data, not internet numbers unless you trust the source. Load powder into brass. Look into the brass and get familiar with what the charge looks like, after ten or so rounds you will know and an over-charge will stand out.

I have several good sources for load development. I have the Nosler hard copy, several powder and bullet manufacturers data websites, Quickload software, and several experienced loaders at work (and you guys) to ping ideas off of.

You'll have a lot of fun and satisfaction in loading your own.
Thanks for taking the time to type that up. I appreciate the insight. I've done a ton of reading over the past couple of weeks and have some great resources at work to help me along. I've resized and trimmed 100 .308 cases and 50 5.56 cases. I need a good, cost effective way to get rid of the primer crimp from the M855 brass. I've been eyeballing the RCBS swaging die.

megalomaniac

No need for AB's in .308, save your money for more powder/primers. I'd recommend the 150 BT's personally. LOTS of deer have succumbed to them in the past few years. Out to 500 yds, NP. Beyond that, and I'd go with a heavier bullet. Something is just magical with a 150BT at 2850 fps.

infoman jr.

No more than I'm going to be shooting these hunting loads, I'm really not concerned about the cost of the bullet. I assume you're talking about Ballistic Tips?

280longshot

Jcalder":1ly6uxt5 said:
Sierra gamekings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although I always seem choose nosler bt, accubond, or barnes TSX the Sierra gamekings can hold their own.
Nothing better in a .243 than a 100 gr gameking....very deadly on deer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

infoman jr.

I loaded up some 175gr Barnes match burners and 165 gr Accubonds. The last thing I need is a decent chrono, then I'll be ready for some range time.
15941309_10100900906927618_4257234160427270913_n.jpg

DaveB

I have a Chrony Beta Master. I only shot one shade leg so far. I have it on good word that nearly everyone shoots their Chrony.

I must admit I THOUGHT I could download the shot info to a PC. You Cannot, not with this model.

Please do not make my mistake. Get one that can download to a PC either direct or via thumb drive or memory chip.
I think Caldwell is worthy of research...

I know you are PC literate. Annually or as deemed necessary print your historical records in the event of a meltdown/fire/lightning strike/surge/HDD failure.

The one Mr. Big uses is supposed to be the cats meow, it is called "MagnetoSpeed". Perhaps Mr. B can comment on his experience.

Be prepared to invest a fair amount of time shopping for a Chronograph that fits your needs. And get a really nice tripod.

infoman jr.

Our work precision rifle team has a couple Magneto Speeds. I used one a few months ago, and it was really nice. I'd like to get one that I can shoot arrows through though. I suppose I could always borrow that MS if I needed to.

brass magnet

My name is .... and I have a problem, I'm starting to reload. I need hunting bullet suggestions. There,I fixed it for ya!

Latest posts