I'm starting to reload. I need hunting bullet suggestions

infoman jr.

Down the rabbit hole I go. I recently bought an RCBS press, .223 and .308 dies, a pound each of CFE223 and Varget, and I'm accumulating the rest of the junk I need to produce some reloads. I've been playing around on QuickLoad for a couple days to get some starting points with powder and charge weights.

First up is a target load for .223 which I know I'm going to load 85 grain Barnes Match Burners over CFE223.

I'm also looking to load a .308 round for hunting. For target loads, it likes 175s, so I was looking in that ballpark. Right now, I'm leaning toward a Barnes LRX, but I've also been looking at Nosler Accubonds and Hornady ELD-X bullets. I'll be potentially taking shots up to 400 yards with this, so accuracy and flat trajectory are important.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these rounds or suggestions for something else to consider.

Urban_Hunter

Re: I'm starting to reload. I need hunting bullet suggestio

Can't go wrong with your own suggestions. I would suggest going to Hodgdon for starting points on load development instead of Quickload... I don't know what that is honestly.

infoman jr.

Urban_Hunter":29vtbiwt said:
Can't go wrong with your own suggestions. I would suggest going to Hodgdon for starting points on load development instead of Quickload... I don't know what that is honestly.
Quickload is a program that lets you look at powder burn percentage, case fill percentage, chamber pressure, and lots of other data. I'll use that to find a powder and cross-reference manufacturer data before loading for my ladder test.

infoman jr.

TNRifleman":2v1ygg4o said:
Hard to beat Accubonds or TTSX for a hunting bullet.
Thanks - TTSX is my current hunting bullet in .308 and .300 win mag.

TNRifleman

infoman jr.":1m8qsyw4 said:
TNRifleman":1m8qsyw4 said:
Hard to beat Accubonds or TTSX for a hunting bullet.
Thanks - TTSX is my current hunting bullet in .308 and .300 win mag.

I would watch out for the accubond long range bullets and read up on them before trying. I am not sure if they have made any changes but the original ones did not get great reviews. They do not seem to be nearly as well like as the original accubond.

jlanecr500

165 Accubond. .020" off the lands. Start at 44 gr of Varget and work up in .3 gr increments. Consider 46 gr as max. Most likely, the groups will be tightest near max.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled

I love the regular Accubonds. For 400yd you should not need the LR model, (the LR has a reputation for not staying together at closer ranges) and last thing I knew Shooters Pro Shop had the .308 180gr Accubond blems for under $20 in stock. I don't think you could go wrong with the 165 either. And good luck getting one to stay in a deer at under 250yd, as I never have out of my 30-06, but still get bang-flops every time.

DaveB

223 twist rate? I see where Hodgdon says a 1:12 will work, Barnes wants 1:8 or better.

Hard to go wrong with Barnes product line.

infoman jr.

DaveB":kptgrrgv said:
223 twist rate? I see where Hodgdon says a 1:12 will work, Barnes wants 1:8 or better.

Hard to go wrong with Barnes product line.
1:8. It's a Larue Stealth barrel. It shoots the Barnes Precision Match 85gr factory loading very well.

infoman jr.

I found a couple boxes of 165 Accubonds pretty cheap locally. It may be worth picking up a box.

Gvit

jlanecr500":1h6x9gxe said:
165 Accubond. .020" off the lands. Start at 44 gr of Varget and work up in .3 gr increments. Consider 46 gr as max. Most likely, the groups will be tightest near max.

Solid advice - 165 Nosler BT's are another good choice for accuracy & stopping power

JimFromTN

EastTNHunter":27sj5wkd said:
I love the regular Accubonds. For 400yd you should not need the LR model, (the LR has a reputation for not staying together at closer ranges) and last thing I knew Shooters Pro Shop had the .308 180gr Accubond blems for under $20 in stock. I don't think you could go wrong with the 165 either. And good luck getting one to stay in a deer at under 250yd, as I never have out of my 30-06, but still get bang-flops every time.

Had the same issue with 180 gr 30 cal sierra game kings when pig hunting in GA. I was reloading 300 win mag. Had 2 explode on impact. Lost one pig and found the 2nd. I now reload 200 gr nosler partitians for pig hunting.

JimFromTN

EastTNHunter":1gwb9v0d said:

Had the same issue with 180 gr 30 cal sierra game kings when pig hunting in GA. I was reloading 300 win mag. Had 2 explode on impact. Lost one pig and found the 2nd. I now reload 200 gr nosler partitians for pig hunting.

JimFromTN

EastTNHunter":2pix7bpz said:

Latest posts