Im "kid on Christmas Morning" excited

DeerCamp

My oldest brother is a gun NUT. He and I are always talking shop, and he loves to give me he'll about my 6.5

He shoots long range (mile+) matches out in Texas. I called him on the way back from Oklahoma telling him I've been researching rounds for a trip out west. He reached out to his mentor, who is an even bigger gun nut (and well known gun Smith out there) and an hour later he calls me back.

"So, I talked to Pappi. I've never given you a gun, and I love to give guns as gifts since they mean a lot. Here's what we're gonna do. Pappi just ordered a barrel, and I'm about to order a stock. I've got a long action receiver laying around.

We're gonna build you a shooter. But I'm not gonna tell you what it is. There's only one catch - you gotta come get it."

Uh, in the words of Orgeron - you tell me which door and what time to leave brother!

He's terrible at keeping secrets, and eventually sent me an article with the cartridge. It's a .280 Ackley Improved. It's 90% together. They've been handloading test rounds to see what it likes and the report back was "it likes everything".

Here's the first 3 shot group at 100y.

7004.jpeg

He did send me one pic milling the barrel. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Plan is to fly out and get it late January.

He's already got over 2K in the gun and they are putting an Athlon scope on it.

I'm not gonna be able to sleep the night before! Not a chance.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
Man that is SUPER. Be sure to give him a hug.
I love the 280AI I have one in a Kimber Montana - it is my western hunting gun and that is all I use it for. I love the cartridge it has a lot of pluses.

That 3 shot group is really really good (better than my Montana) I hope you reload because that round is reloaders dream, plenty of great bullets to choose from, plenty of good powders do an excellent job.

Post up some pic when you get a chance... an we have to have al of the detail on the build also :)

DeerCamp

Man that is SUPER. Be sure to give him a hug.
I love the 280AI I have one in a Kimber Montana - it is my western hunting gun and that is all I use it for. I love the cartridge it has a lot of pluses.

That 3 shot group is really really good (better than my Montana) I hope you reload because that round is reloaders dream, plenty of great bullets to choose from, plenty of good powders do an excellent job.

Post up some pic when you get a chance... an we have to have al of the detail on the build also :)
That's awesome to hear!

I absolutely will! Hope to get my hands on it in the next month. I'll get to put it to the test out there. There's a range that goes out to a mile there.

DeerCamp

So...like I said, my brother is terrible at keeping secrets. The pick up date has been pushed off a few months so he sent me a pic. Its not cerakoted yet, so metal will match.

They've been shooting different test loads to see what it likes best.

Best group was .48moa at 200 yards.

It's definitely growing on me. I need a name for it!

Attachments

• 15199.jpeg
    15199.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Tenntrapper

So... my brother is terrible at keeping secrets. The pick up date has been pushed off a few months so he sent me a pick. Its not cerakoted yet, so metal will match.

They've been shooting different test loads to see what it likes best.

Best group was .48moa at 200 yards.

It's definitely growing on me. I need a name for it!
Kermit
😂

vonb

Kermit. My late son's rifle was named Kermit. It had a green stock.

Latest posts