Initial impression of B14

Daniel n

As most of you know, I picked up a Bergara rifle a few weeks ago. Between work, gym, and family activities I haven't had much time. I had a little time this morning so I snuck off to fire a few rounds. I ended up firing 15 rounds total and I'm very pleased. I'm no marksman and I have never shot off a bipod until this morning. Until this morning I had never fired anny bolt guns other than a few Remington 700s and some different low end savages.

Rifle stats are
Bergara B14 Wilderness HMR
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-14x44
Caldwell bipod.

Ammo this go round:
Hornady Black
168 grain amax

Initial take away from gun function:
Bolt is extremely smooth and you can move the action with one finger.
Trigger is amazing, by far the best trigger I have pulled.
This is the first vortex I've owned other than a red dot and I'm happy with the purchase.

Other things:
I will upgrade the bipod, not a big fan of it.
I need to invest in some bags to shoot off of. I shot this morning with the stock rested on a folded up sweatshirt.

I'll attach the 2 separate targets from this morning. The first target is initial scope sighting and you can tell I made a few wrong adjustments.

The second is by far the best I have ever shot at 100 yards and I pulled the 4th shot a little bit. Best 4 were under 7/8 of an inch.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 17

Spurhunter

I bought a used B-14 two years ago and I absolutely love it. Except for the hinged floorplate. I prefer a removable magazine. Bergara has a $125 kit to change it over and I will probably do it. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about a B-14. You made a good purchase!

Antler Daddy

I bought a used B-14 two years ago and I absolutely love it. Except for the hinged floorplate. I prefer a removable magazine. Bergara has a $125 kit to change it over and I will probably do it. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about a B-14. You made a good purchase!
Why don't they just make a detachable magazine option? I love my browning detachable and don't understand the hinged floor plate desire.

Daniel n

Thank you! Mine does have a removable mag. It takes a AICS magazine.

Antler Daddy

BTW, next rifle I buy must be short action, wood stock, 3 position safety, and detachable magazine. I don't even know a company that makes one, but that is what I want.

Winchester made one with the controlled feed at one point, but that was eons ago. My only complaint about my browning is lack of 3 position safety because I want to be able to work the bolt with trigger safety still on.

Tenntrapper

BTW, next rifle I buy must be short action, wood stock, 3 position safety, and detachable magazine. I don't even know a company that makes one, but that is what I want.

Winchester made one with the controlled feed at one point, but that was eons ago. My only complaint about my browning is lack of 3 position safety because I want to be able to work the bolt with trigger safety still on.
The newer model 70s are 3 position as well. And the CRF is back. Thinking all that happened around '07...

Latest posts